Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Casual Contributor

Bipolar and work

Hi. I am just new to the forum. Just stumbled on it tonight.

Are people with bi polar holding full time jobs?

Work is my trigger so keeping a job is hard.

Any advice on keeping a job and the type of job ?

Thanks
18 REPLIES 18

Re: Bipolar and work

I just replied to your other post 🙂

type of job is a piece of string sort of question, i don't think there is any sort of catagory for what works for different people, i might find that i am really good in one field and it might not suit you.

example i function well when being treated properly with meds and therapies, to working in high stress sales role, for me it is the most fun job i have had, and i think it will be something i will go back to, i still speak to old work colleagues and i know i am good at it.

However that is what works for me, for yourself it could be the complete opposite of the spectrum, so i don't think anyone can tell you what job you should be in

hope this also helps

Thanks

I was hoping there was a formula or quick fix:) I guess most of us are aware there isn't too many quick fixes in life.

I am self employed as I couldn't hold down a job as getting out of bed is a struggle sometimes. And when I am really off I just have to get my employees to take up the slack. The other thing is when I am not well I just make mistakes and work for a boss would probably mean the sack?

I have heard some people with bipolar can have a lot of success in life and work. This gives me hope that I can succeed as well

Thanks again for your reply, it is giving me the focus I need to get back on track

Hi 730,

If I were to offer any advice on employment, it would be to make sure it's the right job.  Also a good work/life balance is essential for allowing the mind down time.  

I've been working full time again for 10 months now and in that time I've had to take a week off twice.  I'm fortunate to have a general manager who is supportive and in the early days gave me the freedom to come in late and leave early while I settled.  Without that I think I would have fallen over and quit because it was exhausting.

I left my previous full time job after a blazing break down, caused by my employer who knew my triggers and used them to cause me to become unstable.  That experience led me to the only period in my life where I relied solely on a pension for a year while I recovered.  

So yes, people with bi polar can hold down full time jobs.  Keeping the job depends on how suited they are to the job, and the support they receive.  The type of job is entirely related to the person.  You need to be happy and comfortable in the job in order to make it work. 

I have friends with bipolar that work full time. They managed to balance their work and life situation. And I know that their jobs really suit them.

Hi 730
It is good that you have supportive employees and are self employed.
As @JT stated “a good work/life balance is essential for allowing the mind down time.”
I have Bipolar and am currently starting back slowly with volunteer work, once I’m ready I will go back to my old job as a casual employee, I am lucky in that I have an understanding employer who agrees to me setting my own hours that I feel I can manage.

Hi Im new to the forum as well.Brand spanking new..

I have lived on the seasaw for about 22-27 years.

I agree finding work you enjoy is the key..a supportive workplace is an added bonus.

I was a successful Store manager for a large retail Chain for 10yrs plus.

I did have an out of work accident which agrivated my BiPola and could not reaaly express to my bosses what was happening even after 10 yrs so i quit and changed jobs .I now work in a support role for mental health and in the disablity employment sector.I have never been so emotionally fullfilled in work.

So it depends if making $$ fullfills you or other things.

If you want have a chat with a DES employment service there are many they can help with career directions and choices that you may have never considered.

I'm sorry about the Picture I cose it is just a reminder for me when Im down I think about what happensd after death ( not suicidal) just what comes next obsesivley..100 times aday at least worse as I try to sleep..Well Im up I try to build perpetual energy machines ..

Thanks for your message @Tight-Control and welcome to the forums!!

@730 - just wondering how things are going?

Hobbit.

I use to go from a job to another and think that i was a great canidate for variety and good admin support then before diagnosed lost 7 jobs in a row then became diagnosed and now understand why however ive been unemployed for 3 years and im trying to get back to work only now, have heard lots of good stories about people with bipolar getting work and im hopeful that someday soon i may return to work in the admin support arena. Check out Julie A Fast (author about bipolar she is a successful worker). Work from home doing audio typing perhaps am a qualified massuse however feel as though noone wants me working for them (bipolar) yet to find some employee who is empathetic to my attitude(s). I continue to read good stories and get sad that an opportunity is yet to make itself known to me.

Yeah Disability Employment Services is now helping me to coach me in resume writing, interview techniques, cover letters and perhaps this year I may re-commence work again, am hopeful !

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance