Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: youth group for son with psychosis

@Sweet_cheeks  Heart Hoping you are having a kind and caring day. Love peaxxx

Hi @Sweet_cheeks @I'm so glad your son is doing better. No there's a question, can they still get their L's if they have been diagnosed with Psychosis? I know my son Ky is really looking forward to that. I am thinking he should give up his job at Maccas as he does find that stressful but he does like working at K Mart as he's often on his own in the toy dept with no real pressure xx

Hi @Sweet_cheeks i'm so glad your son is doing better. No there's a question, can they still get their L's if they have been diagnosed with Psychosis? I know my son Ky is really looking forward to that. I am thinking he should give up his job at Maccas as he does find that stressful but he does like working at K Mart as he's often on his own in the toy dept with no real pressure xx

@Kellyil I don't know about the psychosis. I have epilepsy and can drive. I choose not to as, even though I am medicated I fear it would happen when I am driving. Your gp would probably be able to tell you whether he can drive or not and I guess could provide a letter to roads and maritime if needed. I think your boy is amazing having 2 jobs and going to school. I wanted my son to work and he was going to but then this all happened and I felt he wasn't up to it and hsc is coming up but I am going to get him to look for a job on the christmas holidays. I was going to get him into airforce cadets. It is an amazing organisation. As well as learning how to fly, they make drones go on Bear Grylls type survival camps learn music and marching at Anzac day and lots of things like that. I thought my son would love it. There psychologist was just considering whether he could join when the virus hit. Which is really too bad. I want to get him into some youth mentoring group where he has some adventures. It really is bad luck. 

@greenpea you too greenpea. I have added you to a post as someone to talk to. I hope you don't mind but you have been a great support to me through hard times and given me good advice. Hope all is well. love sweet_cheeks

@Sweet_cheeks  I dont mind in the least people do it all the time on the forums. In fact I tagged someone into another conversation today :D. I am flattered that you feel that I have been of help. That actually makes my day :)xxx

Thanks again @Sweet_cheeks  its been a bad afternoon and night. My son is fighting through social media from another school. I've never seen him so angry he told me he's angry all the time. He said he knows people think he's crazy but he likes his psychosis as it makes him think of things in a different way. He said he doesn't think there's anything wrong with him. It breaks my heart. He was so angry earlier and was yelling at this boy. For the first fine ever he would t give me his phone. He eventually did but I know he was trying to organise to fight this other boy for no good reason. He said it's normal teen stuff but I don't know. I am unsure if I should give him his phone back or not. Again so u sure if what to do and overwhelmed doing this by myself. He doesn't start his new meds until sat and it will take several weeks to kick in. Ps has your son gone for his L's? My son could in about 2 months but with this new diagnosis I do t know if he will be allowed. 

@Kellyil 

As far as the driving goes I've looked at some sites. It seems that your son would have to go through a medical review to see if he is stable. His gp and  psychiatrist would have to write a report. I don't know if I'm allowed to attach the link here. I think it's best for you to look for yourself. It does say you have to report his illness though. But I wouldn't lose hope. Maybe it is something you should ask the community. I would imagine quite a few people on this site drive. I would start a new thread and ask. As Far as the anger goes.  My kids are angry. My 21 year old son is very volatile. He punches walls and breaks doors and things like that. He has depression and he has always been weighed down by his autistic brother. Sticking up for him at school against bullies and general sorting his autistic brother out when he is going through one of his loopey ideas. His autistic brother who has extreme ocd went through a period where he thought the world was going to flood so he built an ark in the back yard from twigs and string. He also runs down the street in the middle of the night yelling when he is distressed. He got into a fight with his depressed twin brother who got hurt. We called an ambulance. It was a disaster. we had 6 cops come 2 ambulances and my son was arrested. Later he went to the psych ward not long after so did I. It wasn't a great year since then life has picked up. My austistic son is on the NDIS it might be an option for your son. It offers a lot of supports. I am telling you all this because you might be relieved if you know other people have troubled children. My autistic son has recently got into trouble with a bunch of kids and they are threatening him. I feel for your son. It must be hard having psychosis and thinking you are the only one and having the stigma and people calling him crazy. No wonder he's angry. As far as enjoying the psychosis. I wonder why he does. I find my hallucinations interesting but I don't like them at the time. they frighten me. MY boys have done sport which is crucial for their mental health but the virus is stopping it. I'd really like someone to be a mentor. They've got no grandparents. Something like a mens club somewhere that teaches boys to be men. that;s why I thought airforce cadets would be good. I think boys need to have some old wise ones to sort them out. You know rotary lions club sort of men. I feel so sad for you and what you are going through. It is so worrying thinking of your son fighting with someone. It is quite common though. My husband had a few fights and then it was over and they left him alone.  my other son had a fight  with a kid who became a best friend. I'm not condoning this at all and I don't know the situation. I don't know how boy things work. I have no brothers. Maybe other men on the site have good ideas. Long message I better finish now. You are obviously a lovely mum because you are anxious and worried. I hope that you can find some peace soon. Love sweet_cheeks

Hi @Sweet_cheeks  thanks for your lovely message. You have been through so much and I hope your family finds some piece. I completely agree re the mentoring thing. My son has no grandparents either and no male role model. I think it's so important especially for boys. I would love him to have that. The airforce cadets is an interesting one especially if they have camps etc. do you worry about how they would go over night re medication etc. I worry about that e dry time my son wants to sleep over at a friends. He was suppose to be going to the US in Dec on a school b ball trip. Due to COVID I'm not sure if it will happen but now with this diagnosis I don't know if it's a good idea for him. Xx

Hi @Sweet_cheeks I'm not having a good day today at all. My son replaped last week and smoked pot twice. I found out. His mood changed and his was really angry, then paranoid then jst really flat.I asked him today if he hears voices and he said they aren't so bad at the momnet. He said there is one main voice but then probably 2 others. I asked him if they were friendly and he said that it's hard to explain, they seem like they are friendly but then they aren'teither. He said he doesn't talk back to them. I'm beyond terrifed at what this is doing to him. He started a new medication last Thursday but who know if it's the right one or how long it will take to get into his system. 😞

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance