Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Former-Member
Not applicable

me time... you time...

So.. for the last 3 years i've been told repeatedly that I need to make 'me time' as part of my self care routine. I'm a single mum and work full time. Time is a premium that is hard to come by. 

Here on the forums i think of as some 'me time' but also need other things. I used to do colouring, but shaky hands lately have put a hold on that feeling successful... I used to do an exercise program/video thing in the mornings but havent been up to that lately.

What do you all do for you time? 

lj

3 REPLIES 3

Re: me time... you time...

Hi @Former-Member

It is really hard to find 'me time' when working and I have 3 adults still at home.  It should mean that i should have more 'me time' but I don't.  To be honest I struggle with having 'me time' because i feel guilty.

But once a week/fortnight i catch up with a very good friend and have a coffee.  

A few times a year when I feel I deserve a treat I will have a massage

I have my hair coloured every 5 weeks because it is so damn grey!!!

I can only imagine how hard it would be for you to have 'me time' when you have little ones at home and a single mum.  That is tough; but I think it is good for you to have a little bit of time to yourself; to treat yourself; have a coffee with a friend, watch a movie etc etc. It doesn't have to be expensive, just something little where when you come back home you feel good because you have done something for yourself - and you deserve it just as much as anyone else.

ps.  give the kids to me, i can babysit and you can have some 'me time' LOL HeartHeartHeart

Former-Member
Not applicable

hehe thanks @BlueBay i'll drop em over! 

Yes, i try and do things with them too, like walking etc of course, but its hard sometimes. 

Well done for having and knowing that those things like coffee with a friend is important and getting your hair coloured etc. That is great. I dont get my hair done very often, though I should probably make a bit more of an effort in that area. 

lj

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @Former-Member

just thought I'd drop my thoughts here. One of the things that I just recently discovered in a therapy session was that 'me time' can be self soothing time too. I was given a sheet of the senses and self soothing activities for each sense. We discussed what senses were stronger for me and it came down to smell and visual. You know I have almost 24 hours a day to do 'me time' things but never do. The small 'me time' things I'm going to try is to burn oils every day when I wake up or getting worked up. It's not much of a me time thing in that it only takes 30 seconds but the scent drifts through the house so it lasts much longer and I'm very aware of scent. This is something that I knew and had been given sheets about before in the past but never really made the connection or tried hard enough to do. So saying that, thank you fi starting this I'm off to try and follow through and light my oil burner. 

Perhaps it can just be something small that you make as a priority every day and make sure your mindful of it at the time. I hope this helps  

Best wishes 💜🤗

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance