Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: looking after yourself....theory v practice

hI @NikNik

Just finding i have to write your whole name in instead of it coming up for me , that`s all

Hope you have a good day

Hello @Appleblossom

How are you today ??

we are ok ,

have to take my mum for a scan today ,

hubby is a little worried if we will get any jobs done today and they say the rain is coming back tomorrow

Hi.....was just reading your post about self care and how to manage it all. My strategy is to prioritise and let go of what I cannot do....and it really is that simple for me. I know and respect that I cannot do it all....and for those around me that expect me to do it all.....that is their problem to deal with. I also do a lot of meditation....just simple ones.....but gee they make a difference. They help me have an awareness of my own needs and expectations. The other thing I do, is try to remain present with whatever I am doing. So instead of driving to the shops for groceries and spending the whole time thinking about what I still have to do after that....like cooking, drop offs/pick ups, homework etc. I just look at my surroundings and focus on what is happening around me and let the other stuff go. It has taken s lot of practice but it really helped me clear my mind.....know myself and stay grounded at the same time. Ive also learnt to speak out.....loudly and clearly when I cannot do it all. As a mum it is all too easy to take on too much responsibility....and leave nothing for ourselves. Whether you are a carer or someone being cared for....both are equally important and deserve self care from yourself.

I cannot for the life of me highlight the name of the person I am replying to.....just not working for me.

Love your strategies @Wordsmatter.  Letting go of what you can't do is a great thing to be able to do.  Sounds like mindfulness is working well for you too.  So good to hear.

Have you tried the @ button to respond to a particular poster?  It should bring up the names of recent posters in the thread so you can select the one you want.

Hi @Shaz51

I am ok thanks

Hope the scan turns out ok

Saw my original Carers vic lady ... after 6 months ... she cares for me in the sense .. that she tries to click with me .. it makes a difference ... and helps me relax ... trust and respect ...

Hello @sybill07,

how are you

Good morning, I recently attended a Mental Health workshop regarding The Community approach to recovery. 

Our presenter was Wayne Horwood, he has a back ground in Policing, Psychology, Social Work and Education. I came away with lots of key conceps from the work shop, in particular the following have been extreemly useful for focusing on wellness for myself and family members.

The first concept was; to ask ourselves to list 5 people, who we would assist unquestionably at the drop of a hat. I belevie this was to identify significant people in our lives.

The second concept was;

We as humans do well with excitment and the achievment of goals in our lives, the example for this was, to always have,

A weekly activity to look forward to: mine is visiting the local garden and smelling the flowers in bloom, it is awesome.

A fortnightly activity to look forward to, mine has been to see a movie ,Tarzan.

A monthly activity to look forward to, mine was a fun run which I had to get out and about twice a week to train for.

A six monthly activity to look forward to, mine was the commencement of a short course Well Ways.

An annual activity to look forward to, a holiday, mine is a short trip with in our means.

This process has been really helpful for us, I hope your days become alot smoother.

Living Well

Setting forward goal has been part of our coping mechanism .... a refusal to let the mi issue take up our whole world view ...

Thanks for this info .... really helpful !

🌷💕

@sybill07
You seem quite tuned in to yourself-u know what's needed OR NOT NEEDED. Don't allow yourself to get to a breakdown point.
You're amazing to be juggling all that you are! Keep telling yourself that. Then you need to slow it down- to a manageable level.
I've found writing out lists - prioritising by number and crossing off as I go is excellent.
And the list might have 21 tasks but I then work out which HAS to be done today -& usually I'm done in about 4tasks for the day.
Break it up-organise it and re order it. Factor in you time. Remember you're human (I think) and 🙂 you need rest, personal time, proper food and water & solid sleep to function. Your body can only put out what you put in..... Be good to it and break down you tasks bit by bit and feel some relief immediately 🙂
RG
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance