Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

redhead
Senior Contributor

art

Does anyone else do art as a coping strategy. I love to pull out my paints and get the feeling onto canvas instead of self harming or other unhealthy coping strategies. I'm also really keen on photography.

What about you guys.
8 REPLIES 8
Peppermint
Senior Contributor

Re: art

Hi @redhead and welcome to SANE. I don't know that I use art as a coping strategy, but I do think it contributes to my overall wellbeing. I find that art is nourishes my spirit. I find it very peaceful and inspiring to wander through an art gallery for hours and sometimes I'm very moved by a piece of art. Music is also very important to me. I'm not that artistic myself, but I find enjoyment and relief in writing and doing little arts and crafts projects. 

What do you do with your art? Do you exhibit it anywhere?

Former-Member
Not applicable

I'm not artistic at all.... stick figures are a challenge for me! lol... although i do play music so guess that's my 'art' and a way to express myself at times. (i havent played anything for a long time though)

Lately though i've been colouring in Mendalas as a way to destress. And i've been enjoying that alot. Not really art though, but i enjoy it.

LJ

Hi. I love Art. I teach it to PS kids 2 days a week but have taken a term off to recover. I have been spending time at the art galleries, looking at pintress for inspiration and doing minefullness colouring. It is a great way of grounding you.

Cheer

SimpleAsThis
Senior Contributor

I love not knowing what I'm drawing until it's finished....

hi @redhead I love using creative therapy to help with managing my bipolar. I don't use art as such but I love to write and make things. I do a bit of sewing and I'm a fashion stylist.

Expressing myself creatively I find is more therapeutic than talk therapy sometimes becuase some days i just don't want to talk lol, especially when there is so much chatter in my head.

I dabble a bit in photography, mainly for my blog shoots.

What sort of photography do you get up to?

Missy

kristin
Senior Contributor

Dear @redhead

I only just found this thread. Thanks for starting it 🙂

I guess I do use art as a coping strategy in various ways. I often write poetry when I am quite distressed. I approach art as therapy and find that a very helpful space to engage with whatever is troubling me (or helping/pleasing me).

I think this is a really great way to pour out those negative feelings rather than SH. I painted one a couple of years ago called Blossoming Betryal. It worked on it over quite a few months and it surprised me what came out of it - lots of small details that were to do with transformation. If I can find it (not sure where my folio is right now) I will take a photo and post it.

I use seeing things as a mindfulness strategy (and often take photos of things I see too) - I particularly like searching for new and unexpected things (like mushrooms/fungi) when I am struggling. I call this searching for grace. I don't look for roses, or even flowers. I just look to see what is being created anew in my world when it seems dark and full of mud. I so often find various types of mushrooms (some the size od a baby's fingernail) that I have learned to look out for these inparticular. they are inclined to come up anywhere even amongst rubbish and weeds. I find them quite exquisite.

Keep taking care of you @redhead

Hope for finding signs of grace endures...

Kind regards, 

Kristin

Former-Member
Not applicable

UnicornZebra.JPG

This is my Unicorn Zebra, drawn years ago.

Former-Member
Not applicable

TwoFaced.JPG

I also drew this years ago, I can't see well enough to do the dots anymore.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance