Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

outlander
Community Guide

anyone have this problem?

Hi Guys
so it has been brought to my attention a few times now, it makes me feel really self concious but im hoping that im not alone in this.
so a few months back people were telling me that im constantly scratching. i didnt even notice it until then. we thought it was the ADs so i went off those but it still continued. im now on new meds and it hasnt changed either.
it was told again to me the other day. so this is the third or fourth times and i keep thinking its the meds but everything has all been changed so its all ruled out.
ive now noticed that i do scratch a fair bit, and i tend to get to the point of making sores and then picking at them.

im wondering if anyone else is experiencing this.. maybe its seasonal? maybe its my anxiety as i have severe GAD, maybe its habit but id really like some advice on what else to do as im feeling pretty stuck on how to approach this

13 REPLIES 13

Re: anyone have this problem?

Interesting question @outlander. I'm a scratcher too to the point I have marks on myself. I just get really itchy...mainly on my arms and legs. I've never considered it could be medication related. I thought it was just me and my allergies or something. 

hey @Queenie

ive changed medications becasue i thought it was it but im still doing it 2 medications later. i cant go off these ones. these are finally working and dont have to change them.

maybe its a habit? but if i dont scratch it feels strange on my skin... does that feel the same for you

get the urges to scratch but when you dont and your more aware of it its like a prickly scratchy feeling?

yes, I feel pretty much the same @outlander. I'd never thought for a moment it could be medication worries. Although thinking now, a few years ago my itching and scratching got so bad, I could go for days without sleep because of it. It was very frustrating. I still itch and have that awful prickly scratchy feeling if I don't scratch, but thankfully I usually sleep because my night meds are so sedating. Is it something a good quality moisturiser or sorbolene cream help with? I know I have chronic dry skin too.

its not quite disturbing my sleep but every hour im awake im always fidgeting or scratching. its a really uncomfortable sensation it really is. @Queenie

ive got a good mosituriser that i use at least 3 times a week but even after putting the creams on i still feel it. sometimes a shower can releive it if im really desparate but sometimes water makes it worse.

ive changed all washing powders, soaps and shamppos are as gentle as i can find which are the dove brand for soaps and head and shoulders for shampoos. other than that i havent got a clue

and the more anxious i am the worse i notice and feel it

Former-Member
Not applicable

Early Last week I mailed mum & dad an anniversary card. A get well card to my sister. And a get well to my son with the local paper featuring his high school reunion - none of them responded. Texting is so easy, why can't they all least do that ? Teary again.

I'd be interested to know what the cause is then, @outlander. Seems baffling!

Aww hugs @Former-Member im sorry so one has reaponded how rude

I know @Queenie i cant work it out at all and have no idea where to start. Not meds. Not irritants. Not ovey dry skin.
Its got me stumped too. Its like having a constant invisible rash

Formication?

Morgellons disease ? is a controversial and poorly understood condition in which unusual thread-like fibers appear under the skin. The patient may feel like something is crawling, biting, or stinging all over.

I get the itch-and-scratch thingy too.  It might be a 'displacement behaviour'.  I try to remember to rub with my fingertips instead of using my nails.

Or it might be just sensitive skin.  Have you tried calamine lotion?  Or if its sweat (I get sweaty) you could try isopropyl (hospital alcohol).  I buy it at the chemist, it dries out oily skin.  Methylated spirits will do the same thing, but it smells bad.

Hope this helps a bit.  Oh, coal tar soap used to be the go, but its hard to find now.  Some folk just stop using soap.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance