Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: What do you guys do when people mock mental illness?

Hi @NatureLover,

I'm sorry to hear you had to go through that experience, it sounds like it must have been difficult.

Whenever I encounter people sharing those kinds of attitudes about mental health it makes me so frustrated and hurt. However, as I am not a very assertive person and always worry about what other people think, I either don't say anything or I try to lightheartedly joke about how they shouldn't say it. This means I end up coming away feeling disappointed that I didn't stand up for myself or say what I wanted. 

Ideally, I would like to be able to address things in the moment in a calm and non-confrontational way, with the purpose of hopefully educating the other person or helping them to see another perspective, but I don't know if that's something that I'd realistically be able to achieve. I guess it could be something to work towards though. 

@NatureLover  I say yes to pulling them up on it.

I have allowed casual racism towards me slide for so long because “I don’t want to hurt their feelings” or “cause a drama”.
Now I can’t speak up because I let it slide for so long and when I have tried to bring it up I dont get taken seriously which is humiliating and makes me feel even more powerless. 
Now I have to take bigger actions to stop it. I wish I had sorted it out sooner.

If you correct the situation in the first place then it doesn’t need to escalate later.

Im kind of confused about why your friend didn’t pull her up on it considering it was his fiancé. Sort of something he should have been on top of.

@NatureLover I want to just express my support before I write a whole essay to reply to tyme, but that must have been really tough and uncomfortable. It's perfectly acceptable to not want to call people out all the time, it's tiring, frustrating and if you're having an otherwise good time it can really leave everyone feeling bitter. We don't always have to be advocates and activists for ourselves and others even though some people think we should, it can just be too much sometimes. You know, when you do a first aid course, the first thing they say is that you are under no obligation to help anyone (outside of your place of employment or residence) despite the training... it's kind of like that.
But I get how it can leave you conflicted. I wonder, if you truly believe she wasn't being purposely malicious but was just venting some frustrations in an unfortunately harmful and uneducated manner, if you would be amenable to contacting her privately, or even her fiancé as an intermediate, just to discuss how uncomfortable she made you feel, how germaphobia can impact someone and why it's unfair of her to mock someone for something that they struggle with like that, no matter whatever frustrations she has. It might help ease some of the conflicted feelings you're having. Of course be safe first and foremost. Just venting about it here to others, can be plenty helpful sometimes

@tyme That's an interesting discussion. With the older generation, I believe it's because they probably had periods of anxiety and uncertainty and depression but were never allowed to sit it out, they never received any help or acknowledgement, they might even have been fearful of barbaric treatments should they show anything was wrong like you say. But even if it there was no fear of that, therapy was probably extremely inaccessible to most people. And despite that they see that they are well adjusted individuals who have built a life and family for themselves. I think the mockery both extends from both resentment of their struggles going unacknowledged (yet they feel they are being told to acknowledge and support others, and be mindful of them always) as well as a genuine belief that just keeping on going is the best way to deal with it because that was all they had and it turned out okay (in their books). That's the much older generation.
But even for me, still a young adult, my anxiety and depression was never acknowledged by any adult... despite it being extremely obvious. I had to seek treatment and acknowledgement for myself, And so even I have (sometimes very strong) feelings of resentment due to that, which can make it hard to be sympathetic sometimes. I would be annoyed if someone had anxiety and constantly was mentioning it when being asked to come out or do something, it would genuinely feel that they are using it as an excuse like she said - 'only having anxiety when it's convenient'. And I have Anxiety! I know what it's like! but also part of me striving to get better is not saying I can't do something because of it, not saying 'my anxiety means I can't do this', it's trying in every little way possible to push my own boundaries and overcome them. So to hear someone say 'but because I have anxiety [this]' really fires that resentment back up, because I feel like they're not trying despite having the acknowledgment from others that I didn't have. And that is something I'm working on within myself, because I know it's harmful to both me and others to have those feelings. So I feel like I understand the words of that mother you mentioned completely. It comes from a place of frustration and possibly even resentment (though lets be honest, I think parents have many gripes not related to mental illness with their teenagers that could potentially sound like a similar mocking comment). In saying that however, it might also be possible that her child doesn't actually have anxiety, could be misdiagnosed, and the parent it literally only seeing their child exhibiting anxiety like symptoms when they're asked to do something they don't want to... which would additionally be frustrating and lead to such a comment. It's unlikely, but possible.

Honestly I think the push for acceptance and openness of mental health has been both a blessing and a curse for young people. A blessing obviously because it is important to destigmatise mental health, so people can get the treatment and resources they need. However the almost glamorisation of it is completely detrimental, sometimes I'm on a forum or something and it will feel like people are playing the letters game, like they're seeing how many diagnosis they have and comparing them as if they were badges of honour. Then there's teens who are mistaking feelings of sadness for depression, and feelings of stress for anxiety because that's all they are hearing about, and being shocked when they go to get diagnosed and the doctor says no, you're just sad, and of course they don't know how to deal with that because they've only been looking into how depression is treated and only being shown depression rather than sadness (it's also scary to think maybe self diagnosis, mixed with research online could lead to misdiagnosis and over prescription of antidepressants in young people. Those scales they use for diagnosis are easy to misinterpret or recognise patterns in if you've convinced yourself you've got something, and lack of training and interest in mental health from many doctors, could make it very easy to be misdiagnosed. but that's another issue.).
There's also whole communities seemingly based around glamorisation of mental illness and other disorders as something quirky, without showing the true impact. There's quirky 'anxiety and 'depression' branded clothing, then creators on social media basing their entire personalities around their mental health or other illness (in quite a dishonest way), we're even seeing teens now developing tic disorders and imitating other mental illnesses because of it - with encouragement and attention continuing to stimulate that behaviour, until it could actually develop into a mental illness.
I've also seen creators who are clearly going through a depressive episode for instance, with unwashed hair and unkempt appearance, being berated and spoken down to by others. And that's because, though people are open about having depression, they are decidedly less open about that sometimes meaning that lack the ability to shower for weeks at a time. It's all glamorised for social media and close friends, but the disorders themselves are far from glamourous. And when that less glamourous side is spoken about, I find people to be much less accepting.
It's good that younger generations are able to talk openly about it and their struggles. But it's not good that it's 'cool' to have them.

@NatureLover Its a good question, sadly.  As it should not be needed at all, but mockery can still be an issue.

For me, I lot depends on context and how I am feeling at the time.  Often I am gobsmacked, it comes out of the blue and if I am not in a strong position or feeling particularly good, I just withdraw from contact with people like that.  It is not always possible, as in your situation.  Lately I am speaking out more about it.  If it is someone I know reasonably well, I will call them out, but often they are so locked into their narrow mindsets it does not matter what I say.  

@Campbarry made a good point about different attitudes between the generations, but that only goes so far in my circumstances, due to intergenerational trauma.

I would say that girlfriend was knowing eyeing you and trying to shame you. I do not think it was a fluke.  

Disclosure is often quite complex, and not only ... what 'you or I or anyone' is confortably saying.  I only wish I could only disclose when a person had earned their trust.  It has rarely been that simple for me.

I disclosed to a neighbour, who does not "get it" and is often bullying to me, when I tried to discuss it with her, she said she "gets it".  I can get triggered by the "get it" phrase now, though I do try and see the person in context and when it is genuine.

Hope you do not have to put up with it too much again.

@Appleblossom wrote:

I would say that girlfriend was knowing eyeing you and trying to shame you. I do not think it was a fluke.  

@Appleblossom  It hadn't even crossed my mind that she was deliberately mocking or shaming me. Surely not! 😮

@Appleblossom wrote:

For me, I lot depends on context and how I am feeling at the time.  

Yes, you're right 🙂

Thanks for your kind words.

@NatureLover 

I never used to be think that way, about her eyeing being deliberate, I am not that paranoid, more analytical, but you said she was well aware of your specific mental health problems, so that would suggest she should have at least said something, like I understand your situation etc etc., if she was not having a dig.

For the first 50 years of my life I was just trying to survive, so not much energy to spare for standing up for issues, any advocacy is recent.

It was a good question.

@Appleblossom wrote:

For the first 50 years of my life I was just trying to survive, so not much energy to spare for standing up for issues, any advocacy is recent.

@Appleblossom  I am similar. 

Thanks 🙂

Sometimes I let myself down saying nothing but drop out of the conversation.

Sometimes I say something. Either way if the person continues that way next time I see them I avoid them and are done with them other than a brief hello if I bump into them. 

The same for people who show no general respect for those about them. A number of once friends id see down the shops and in front of anyone, old ladies, people with little children, would swear their heads of using every word under the sun not caring who heard it, id say hey mind the PS n Qs, they didn't care. I'll cross the road if I see them coming or wait in my car till they pass before I get out now.

Some people don't deserve our time. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance