Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Former-Member
Not applicable

Volunteer work

I am interested in being a volunteer. I have thought about helping Lifeline but wonder if that might be too much for me. I work full time but will have every 2nd weekend off from the kids next year. Does anyone volunteer in something enriching, that gives back to the community?
7 REPLIES 7
Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: Volunteer work

hello@liberty

i have only just logged in.

so sorry that noone else has seen your post yet.

possibly has something to do with the time of year. i am not sure if there are moderators rostered on during this period or not.

i did do some volunteer work but not in the field of mental health. i would love to be able to, however i am too unwell and also take on others' pain.

i volunteered at an information centre until my illness worsened. I found that very interesting and i have always worked with people within my career.

It would be a very rewarding job if you are able to separate the work and your life.

i wish you every success if you choose to give it a try or even if you decide on something else, there are many volunteer options.

Former-Member
Not applicable

Thank you @Former-Member.
Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @Former-Member
I know @Kurra and @Former-Member volunteer and love their experiences with it. I am looking at doing something this year too. I'm not sure if they are around to jump in. I'm not sure off the top of my head who else would be helpful. Best of luck with it

Sane is often looking for speakers as part of its Mindful Employer Program. Might be worth looking into if you like public speaking. 

Former-Member
Not applicable

Thanks. I'm still researching my options. I appreciate your suggestions

Hi @Former-Member,  I am just looking up a few topics of interest to me and am curious to know how did you go with you're volunteering ? Did you find anything suitable ? Any links  you could share?

Former-Member
Not applicable

I ended up donating to charity in a financial way as I am now working full-time and don't have the spare time for volunteering. I did find that places like lifeline salvos and st vinnies have shopfronts that accept volunteers. And there's SANE who are often after speakers. Good luck with it
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance