Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Phoenix_Rising
Senior Contributor

The turtle technique

Hi @Zoe7 @utopia @Faith-and-Hope@CheerBear @Former-Member @suzanne @Lunar @CherryBomb @Former-Member @BlueBay etc. etc. etc. Smiley LOL

My psychologist sent me this picture. She said that every time she sees anything to do with turtles now, she thinks of me. That's odd, don't you think...I don't know why that would be. Smiley Very Happy Anyway, after she sent me this super cool picture, I googled "turtle technique" and it turns out that it is a therapy program designed to help people regulate their big feelings. Granted, it is technically a program for kids...but why the heck should they get all the cool stuff!!! I am super excited about it. Here is a link to just one of the many sites that talks about the turtle technique: http://heartmindonline.org/resources/turtle-time-a-calming-technique I am definitely going to be telling my psychologist that THIS is something that can help me. Smiley Very HappySmiley Very HappySmiley Very Happy

turtle technique.jpg

7 REPLIES 7

Re: The turtle technique

OMG @Phoenix_Rising are you sure you didn't come up with that yourself? I just looked it up - even the turtle pillow pet is the same - you must be swimming round in circles with excitement - this looks awesome for you HeartSmiley Happy

@Zoe7 wrote:

OMG @Phoenix_Rising are you sure you didn't come up with that yourself? I just looked it up - even the turtle pillow pet is the same - you must be swimming round in circles with excitement - this looks awesome for you HeartSmiley Happy

I know @Zoe7!!!!!!! The pillow pet turtle looks like the long-lost twin of my own pillow pet. How bizarre is it!!!!! Definitely swimming around in circles with excitement!

I LOVE it @Phoenix_Rising and agree - all the cool stuff shouldn't just be for kids. Blanket forts, cool down tents, emotion regulation thermometers, worry pets... turtles. It can all be just as useful for non little people!

I have wondered about your turtle and whether it was a "trauma turtle". I had the experience of recovering from trauma explained to me as being a little like a turtle that peeks it's head out, checks out the world, sees danger and retreats back to the warm, safe, cosy shell. Little peek by little peek hopefully it feels more comfortable out as well as in.

Either way yay for turtles, psychologists that understand turtles and amazing kid stuff that's helpful for non-kids too!

@CheerBear I have self-identified as a sea turtle for about ten years. And yes, being a turtle super helps me to cope with the world. The coolest thing about being a turtle is that I can be anywhere and if I get overwhelmed, all I have to do is pull my head into my shell and hey presto, I'm in my "home." Smiley Happy

@Phoenix_Rising @CheerBear Just popped in to say hi! This thread is so cute. I never grew up with those things in my childhood but it sounds like fun for kids and adults alike.

Glorianna

Hi @Glorianna 🙂 nice to 'meet' you. I didn't have these things as a kid either but am very lucky to be able to explore lots of fun and creative ways of working through tricky things with my own little people. I find heaps of it really helpful for myself sometimes too. People that know me around here know I have a bit of (a lot of) a 'thing' for pinterest which is full of wonderful, fun, gentle ideas.

Hope to see you around 🙂

@Phoenix_Rising
I think this turtle technique was written specifically with yiu in mind.
Yes tell your psychologist you'd like her to include some on this therapy in yiur sessions. Therapy should be fun!
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance