Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: The Virtual Village - a space for parenting 'stuff'

Hello @Justme5 

Come and meet some awesome members and to share your questions or story 

@Ameth , @Determined , @destructive , @Bow , @greenpea , @Smc , @Faith-and-Hope , @Krishna 

Hi, @TuxedoCat linked me into this thread. 

I’m not sure where to start so maybe an intro and I hope others see my post and join in. Most of you already know me but just in short…

I’m 27 and dad of 2 boys who are 5 and nearly 2. 5 year old is technically a step child but I have been around since he was a baby. i had a beyond shitty upbringing of my own where i was removed from my parents care quite frequently before permanently removed and seperated from my siblings so carry a lot of trauma and anxiety but I am working through it and have for a long time. I’m overall in a pretty good space now but like everyone have my bad days. I have taken lessons from all of that I have gone through and use that in how I raise my own kids. I love being a parent I just love being a dad so much and I feel like I do an ok job at it too. Family comes first always has and always will. I spent a lot of time growing up looking after my siblings so I feel like caring for people is just in my nature. One of the best things about being a parent for me is seeing them learn things, our youngest is starting to speak more and more now and I love it when he comes up with a new phrase, he’s just starting saying hi daddy wow, all the time. And I love seeing our oldest grow and start to do more things on his own now that he’s about to start school, he’s got a bit of swag about him. I love seeing them play together. One of the biggest challenges for me as a parent is managing my own emotions when I’m stressed or overwhelmed and how I model that to my kids, sometimes it all gets too hard and I have to stop myself from yelling at my 5 year old to shut up because he’s asked for the same thing 11 times, you know, how I show my frustration and annoyance when I’m feeling that,I don’t want him to know that I’m pissed off because I know he can’t help it he’s a kid.when I’m feeling like that my logical thinking brain just goes out the window and a few times I have made decisions that were not ideal. 
i work part time after a back injury has limited me from working my area of work full time and am home with the kids on the other days. I do really like being a dad 

thank you for sharing with such vulnerability @ArraDreaming ❤️ 

I thought I'd tag a few people in this thread @Shaz51 @Ameth @Determined @destructive @greenpea @Bow @Smc @Faith-and-Hope @Krishna 

And also @RedHorse because I haven't heard from you in a little while adn was wondering if you'd seen this thread ❤️ 

Hello it’s always nice for people or carers of mental health sufferers to also have support for themselves I feel it’s very important for our own mental health life. Like the poor frog who carried the scorpion trusting it wouldn’t bite him and risking his life. I’m new to Sane. I think it’s a great organisation for people to get support and be supported in regards to mental health because life is a gift and it’s worth living no matter what. Cheers Ashley8
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance