Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Sober vs Medicated

This was amazing to read.

I smoked weed for 19 yrs to ease my brain from my disorder. I've stopped the last 6 months and I've tried prescribed medications. I've experienced terrible side efforts from these meds. I've felt abandoned by the mental health clinic I was seeing a psychiatrist through. Weeks waiting for phone calls to be returned. And now I'm wondering why I ever gave up.  I guess I was worried about getting caught driving with weed in my system. 

But I can't handle my moods and mania now. 

@BBB_  Hey BBB I am pretty sure that in the ACT you are allowed a certain number of plants. I am not sure in other states.

your Very welcome my Friend @saltandpepper Smiley Happy

@BBB_ yes that is a legitimate concern re driving. Also, sorry I didn't realise you'd posted here. Yeah, I mean I can't advocate for anything obviously, and I wouldn't if I could either.

Perhaps worth asking yourself why you sought out clinical help in managing your mental health, why  you went the doctor and medication route. I've gone the other way to you, have been seeing therapist and taking meds for years before resorting to this.

And as Pea and I were discussing, the psychoactive element to weed probably wouldn't mix well with mania disorders.

Cheers for the response @BBB_ glad you got something out of my post 👍

@BBB_ It also is going take time to get onto a mental health plan that actually works for you. It's trial and error, no one size fits all. There's different medications, different dosages, different interactions, differents psychs/doctors/psychiatrists too. It's going to take more than 6 months to get a stable pattern going and to figure out what works best in managing your disorder. I do think it's a good thing you've been looking into getting the right support, and I know how challenging it can be

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance