Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

eudemonism
Senior Contributor

Six ways we can all help each other

I know with my life in general and my mental health on top of that. Things at times can become overwhelmingly difficult. And all the small things compile into a huge challenge. And the basic stuff I should be doing becomes incredibly hard. (For whatever reason)

Stuff like. Self care, socializing, diet and exercise, having some alone time, relaxation & meditation, keeping on top of the -too do list, cleaning, washing dishes. Washing clothes. Healthy sleep routine. Perception and prospective of ourselves -others and the world around us.. and so on. Relationships, engaging with community and other people. Having goals ect. (It can all very easily be distorted or become disturbing and damaging -for good reasons as well)

Cause let's face it. Whether we are living in our minds or in the real world. It's a very problematic scenario at the best of times.

I strive and struggle to get the most out of each day and life in general. And it can be an uphill battle. So I thought. Scenes as apart of all of us is in the right mind. And very focused on what's best and good for us. And others around us.

We could help each other with six in particular things we want or need for ourselves. No matter what they may be. Or whether they in the physical, mental or emotional realm of life. And it may even be a spiritual element for some......

And it might give us a better prospective.
3 REPLIES 3

Re: Six ways we can all help each other

Understanding

Empathy

Listening

Accepting

Caring

Sharing

6 things I want or need...

Creativity: This I already have going on a lot in my life, but it's important for me to keep nurturing it's growth. Encouragement of my creativity is always much appreciated, as it is a major lifeline through my mental health issues and gives me a sense of meaning in my life.

Nutrition: Am currently going out fairly regularly to buy veges and fruit for green smoothies made in the blender. Delicious is my blend of celery, spinach, lime, kiwi fruit, apple, banana and coconut water! Super healthy it is too because of all the fibre and goodness of the fruit and veges. All encouragement of this new habit is appreciated, as it's still quite an effort for me to do it and some weeks I don't make it out the door to the shops. Ideally I'd like to be going out twice a week to do this shop so that the juices could be more like every day, instead of 2-3 times a week.

Exercise: I want to continue walking on the beach regularly, preferably getting it up to about 3 times a week. Also want to continue doing the gym program I've been allocated at the public hospital for the next five weeks. This involves 90 minutes travelling on 2 buses and a 15 minute walk to the hospital from where the bus drops me. And the same on return. So it's a big effort for me to get out of the flat to do this. But worth it if I can manage it.

Personal care: I don't shower as frequently as I feel I should. It's a depressive behaviour and has been going on a fairly long time. Won't go into more detail because it's embarrassing. But I'd like to find myself fully cleansed and all fresh more often. I do enjoy that feeling! Also would like to be more diligent about feet, nails and hair care and the other girly things like shaving legs.

Medical and other support: want and need to keep engaged with my treating doctors and other support workers, mainly by just making the appointments when needed and turning up to them. This has mostly been going well for quite some time now. If I start falling down with making the appointments or getting to them, that's probably a sign I am in decline.

Quit smoking: I've given myself asthma or COPD from smoking (exact diagnosis not yet clear), cough a lot and have breathing difficulties. Still, I'm not ready to tackle giving up smoking again yet. Possibly might be after my mum's visit up here in May. At 81, she has chain-smoked her whole life, so I won't be able to get away from it while she's here. In fact I usually smoke more when she's around. Maybe I could start just by trying not to increase my smoking while she is here.

Great idea, @eudemonism. Like your list, @Former-Member. Smiley Very Happy

Love this post @eudemonism

Six things to help me:

1. Accepting:  I am still working on this.  Accept that I was abused as a child; accept that my parents abandoned me when I told them; accept that life without my parents involvement is tough; accept that this is the way it is for now.
  2. Nutrition: Like @Mazarita I am starting to eat more healthy and drink healthy juices and smoothies.  I am more aware of my eating disorder when really depressed.  
  3. My own family: I am so thankful that I have 3 helathy grounded adult children.  One is pregnant and this will change her life forever; and it will change my life and my view as a grandma.
  4. Exercise - I need to start exercising more.  Too hard to set myself goals because of the pressure i put on myself if i don't achieve those goals. So for now I will go for a walk when I feel like it and no pressure put on me.
  5. Boundaries: this is a tough one as I have BPD and suffer greatly with boundaries. I will work on this with my support team and set up some boundaries.
  6. Self worth - again another hard one.  I need to work on this as well.  I have very very little self worth and esteem.  I don't love myself, my body or how i am at the moment.

I am sure there is more, but can't think at the moment 🙂

I love both @Former-Member and @Mazarita posts.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance