Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Heart
Senior Contributor

Self care is sooooooo important

When we think we are doing the self care we need to, are we really doing it properly.

I have just been diagnosed with shingles.(painful, itchy and driving me crazy)

For those who don't know what it is, it comes from the chickenpox virus. It sits is your system until you are so run down and then it comes out and says hello in the worst possible way. I've  been quarantined for at least a week and have had to ring all I have been in contact with in the last 5 days as that is the incubation period.

Yes I though I was self caring for myself but what I was doing was only enough to survive the day. 

I say to you all that this is a wake up call that I have NOT been caring for myself the way I should have been, and it has come to bite me in the butt. No I am not in hospital which is far worse for anyone, but what I am saying to all is to REALLY take self care as a major importance for yourself.

TAKE CARE OF YOUR SELVES.

Hugs to you all.

12 REPLIES 12

Re: Self care is sooooooo important

I think it is important too @Heart

Ive been ignoring pain for quite a while and when i went and got scans done on my spine it showed that i have mild scoliosis and i will end up with arthritis despite only being 20yrs old. I will also have a semi permanent neck and hip issue.
And if i didnt go to my gp i wouldnt have found out i have severe ptsd severe gad and depression. I just thought i was going crazy!!

So if anyone has pain or is unsure of something i urge people to seek aome help even if it turns out to be nothing

Take care everyone ❤❤

I completely agree @Heart and i think this reminder is important for All of us. 

ps I hope you are feeling better!

ouch @Heart
Shingles is nasty 😞 A colleague had them on and off last year, i hope they clear up for you soon.
Self care is a difficult one for me too. What are you going to do differently in the self care department? I have really wanted to get more exercise going, but seem so swamped for time...
lj

Sounds really painful @Heart, I know shingles blisters / sores run along the nerve trails and well - inflames nerve cells, ouchy! My dad gets them occasionally and he says its agony and impossible to sleep. I use to get Cold Sores (also the herpes virus) breaking out with my periods a lot (PMS suffer)and when very run down. Forces us to slow down I guess, or at least notice our body & mind needs self care. Now when I get a cold sore, it reminds me to better manage my stress levels - meditation relaxation recreation, a 3month course of quality multivitamins, borocca with breakfast, and high antioxidant diet (fruit, vege, green tea etc), oh, and rest, take a break away.
Hope you feel better soon 🙂

Sorry you are not well @Heart but you are wise and caring of others even whilst advocating self care..

Your post also reminded me of a person who did not bother to make others aware when he was infectious. So I looked it up and found it was notifiable.

Thank you

@Appleblossom, @Former-Member, @Former-Member, @Fancy_Pants, @Former-Member,

Thank you all for your kind and caring words.

I was lucky in the fact that I managed to catch it in the early stages. The tablets are only effective if you get it in the first 72 hours. I was at the end of my 72 hrs window, so very close call.

I went back to my Dr on Friday. He said I had only got a mild dose and I was out of quarantine. 

Yes you can pass it onto other people in the form of Chicken pox. Those most at rick are those that have not had chicken pox before (my son, but he has been vaccinated).

I did notify anyone I had been in contact with from the week before.

How I spent my week:

Sleeping alot as the tablets knocked me for a six, but I also had a good look at what was going on in my life.

I realised that the self care I was doing was only a survival rate of self care (which was obviously was far from enough) and not a living rate of self care. This was a very big wake up call. I was only giving myself a milimeter of self care when what I needed/need in 100 miles of self care. So what's my next move?

Besides sleeping alot when I was off work, I also read Louise Hay; "You can heal your self". Read it once and now going back to re-read and do the exercises within the book. 

Diet: Making better choices as to what I eat and yes lots of fruit and veggies.

Once I get my strength back I will start doing excerise.

If anyone has surgestions for how to time manage your day, I would love to hear how you do it.

I am up at 4.30am every morning, do bits and pieces around the house, have a rest before I start work at 2.00 pm, get home around 7.00pm, cook dinner, clean up and go to bed.

Take care of yourselves. Hugs to all.

how are you coping @Heart?

Hello @Former-Member, I am getting there I think. Started meditation and yoga. Trying to eat well, appertite a bit low at the moment. Mind all over the place, trying to take one step at a time.

im glad your abit better @Heart

keep up the good stuff.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance