Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Self care by growing a garden

I don't plan on planting any eucalyptus at our new place @Adge  due to the size of the garden but there are some lovely Mallee species that are suitable for smaller yards. 

@Former-Member, @Adge, we've got a massive Eucalypt leucoxylon "Rosea" in our side yard that was here when we moved in. Mature tree, maybe 9-10 metres tall. It's not a wise tree to have that close to the house. It takes first share of all the nutrients in the soil, drops leaves in the box gutter, and would be awful if a fire went through... but it attracts so much wildlife. All sorts of insects and birds... possums, who are less welcome. Despite it's "problems", I love that tree, so I work around it. Raised beds, potted plants, accepting that any fruit trees in its root zone will be somewhat dwarfed. We rarely see flowers on it because the possums and birds eat the buds.

Further down the yard, where there's more space for mature trees, I've planted a Casaurina, a Silky Oak, a Blackwood Wattle, and another wattle which I think is Acacia cultriformis? Also a violet flowered bottlebrush and a Kurrajong. The Kurrajong is still quite small and keeps getting knocked back by the wallabies and frost, but it'll get there. There was a lime green bottlebrush too, but the wallabies ate that one to death. The Casaurina, Silky Oak and Blackwood are all about 6m tall, and are a lovely screen across the back boundary.

@Adge 

Internet pics = better for anonymity. 

I haven't seen a silky oak for ages @Smc , I knew someone that had one in their front yard and it used to drop leaves continuously.

They do, @Former-Member, which is another reason why "down the back" is a better spot for them than near the house. The leaf litter over time creates its own mini-ecosystem, so it's much better if it can be left undisturbed.

Melaleuca Archives | Mallee Native Plants - Mallee Native ...This one is nice - it's Melaleuca nesophila, Showy Honey-Myrtle (from south-west WA).

I planted it about 15 years ago.

It's small (only 3 or so metres high), & very pretty.

Adge

Melaleuca armillarisI have one of these too - Melaleuca armilaris, Bracelet Honey-Myrtle.

It's an "exotic" from NSW, I planted it about 15 years ago.

It has not done very well, probably because it doesn't like the sandy soil here.

Adge

Beautiful plants @Adge .

beautiful bushes @Adge Heart

hello @Former-Member , @Smc , @Former-Member , @Determined 

Hi @Shaz51 

How is your garden coming along?

the bushes and the hedge looks good @Former-Member  and with mr shaz  trimming them to look tidy is good

my plants are growing out of their pots , I will need bigger pots or replant them in the front garden '

Mum said I can plant them in her garden if I want too

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance