Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Self care by growing a garden

Hi all 🌺💙🌺💙🌺💙🌺

@@Anastasia @@Shaz51, thanks for callouts 💙 Gardening sure IS "good therapy" This week I planted out seedlings: celery, lettuce, baby spinach, tomatoes. My parsley, rosemary & aloe are doing well from last year. It's really good getting fresh leaves from the garden to make sandwich or omelette.

@Smcwow! You've done so much in your garden - sounds like my idea of paradise - chooks and all 🐔 An expert at it. Love the life analogy 👍 - fits most of us here I think 💙
😊 SweetPeas we are 💐

@Former-Member, single chookie girl.... she did have a penmate, but she died. We have to be able to travel when needed to my parents' place 400kms away, so I'm not getting her any new friends right now. She's content on her own, and has had a history of being a bully-chook in the past.

It's the sad thing that one day my parents will be gone, and their old house will be sorted and sold, and travel might be more optional... at that point, we may get in a few more animals. Until then, if one dies, we're not replacing. But I get a lot of pleasure out of their company in the meantime. (There's also a bunny-girl and a guinea-boy.)

@Anastasia @Shaz51 @Appleblossom @Faith-and-Hope...
This thread's gone quiet since our beloved Darcy moved on... so quiet, I've had trouble finding it!

But it's springtime, so it's a good time to get it "active" again, yes? 🙂 How about we tag in any newer forumites who might be interested?

I've had a busy day today, planted zucchini and sugar snap pea seeds in pots (so I can protect them from rodents and slugs&snails while they get started), and a few sprouting potatoes have gone into the ground, along with two pea plants... yes, two. They didn't germinate very well. But I've got snow peas forming, so as long as I'm happy to mix my pea types, no hassle. I've also dug up some lettuce and silverbeet seedlings that self seeded into inopportune positions, so they're in pots until I decide on their long term position. And my tomato seeds are coming up- whoo hoo!

Loving my greenhouse. When it started raining, I was able to move my seed planting stuff inside and continue on with it. And without it, tomato and zucchini seeds would be no-go at the moment. Still too cold here, and too likely to get frosty.

Flowery stuff's looking good too. The tulips are finishing up just as the bearded irises are getting started, the last of the stone fruit blossoms are finishing, apple trees haven't started yet. Common purple violets are finished, but some of the fancy varieties are going full on. Labradorica, Parma Violets, Apricot Violet. Freesias are out, dahlias are shooting but the frost nibbled back their tops a bit.

LabradoricaLabradoricaParma VioletParma VioletApricot VioletApricot Violet

❤️ @Smc ......

I have a single rise where once I had a beautiful garden ..... but ..... I have a single rose 🥰🌹❣️

Hello @Smc and thank you, yes a big hole left when Darcy left. 

I'm just about to drift off but have subscribed and will make an effort to update here with all my gardening activities. Yours sound fabulous!

Roses are beautiful @Faith-and-Hope 

Think of it like a friend, "You only need one true friend in life..." 🌹

I'm back to work tomorrow, dreading the onslaught, I'll be scarce for a few days catching up whilst I get pulled in every direction. 

Hugs to you both and all here 🤗🌳🌻🌼❇️

💖 @Anastasia .....

Good morning and hugs @Faith-and-Hope , @Anastasia , @Smc , @Appleblossom , @Zoe7 

@ArtistZ 

My mum's lillies are out 👍

And the orchids have flowered but now has stopped ❤

Good morning @Shaz51  😃

That's really cool about the lillies 😃👍 which type are they? 
I have never had luck with orchids - I just end up with a dead plant and guilt 😂🤦🏼‍♀️
I hope you have a fabulous day Shaz  🌼 and the crew 😃 (that's anyone coming past 🌸

Same here with orchids @ArtistZ @Shaz51 I love them but can never keep them alive Smiley Sad

Lovely to hear your garden is thriving @Smc 

I am getting a lot of love from mine atm, wich cheery purple and white iris flags all around the court popping up here and there.  Yes freesias, but no tulips here.  Maybe one day ... there is no space really.

My orchids are hanging in there but not flowering.

Mostly I am sharing lots of clumps with my physio, her sister and my support worker.  Its my way of not being a burden, but appreciating the NDIS support when it is good, and they are interested.

The physio garden was looking dreadfully weedy in 3/4 of garden while my corner from last year was doing well, so I have extended influence.  My son calls me a garden coloniser!

@ArtistZ @Shaz51 @Anastasia 

@Faith-and-Hope Sometimes focus on one thing can be enough. 

I am not used to living with established gardens and it is a lovely way to live.

Some vegies.  Drinking rosemary tea atm.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance