Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: STIGMA IN MENTAL HEALTH-STILL ALIVE???

@chibam  @cloudcore  @Zoe7 @Appleblossom I'm so sorry I missed the discussion I had it in my calendar and alerts and was keen to have my input and share my personal experiences. I've actually been sick the last few days better today but had three appointments I had to run about to attend which in itself was exhausting. I actually got home at 6.20pm and to be honest totally forgot. I'm so disappointed that I wasn't there to hear about the topic as a whole. Maybe you can share with me anything you feel that was a highlight, or something you learned I'd love to hear more about the whole discussion and whether it was a positive discussion??

Hey @Sandy-66 Sorry to hear you have not been well Smiley SadHeart

You can read over the discussion on advocacy here when you get a chance Smiley Happy

@Sandy-66Sorry that you missed the chat; and also to hear that you've been feeling unwell lately.

I hope your feeling better today!Smiley Happy

It was a really intense chat session - in a good way!Smiley Very Happy It went on for 15 pages, which I think is pretty extensive for one of these topic chats. It can be a bit hectic, because you want to read everything, but you also need time to type, so you end up skimming through a bit and missing other stuff that appears between your posts.

I'm looking forward to having a thorough re-read of the whole thread, which I'll proabably do tomorrow.

I know that @Daisydreamer  shared a lot of links for helpful resources, so you might find it really enlightening to read through! I know I did.

@Sandy-66 

Sorry I missed it yesterday too.  Am checking @Zoe7 's link.

Smiley Happy

Hi @Sophia1 This may be the Thread you were thinking of - From @cloudcore's Link.

Adge

Will have a look when I can 💜

Worth reading when you are rested... have the time and feel that you are open to the concepts..

By far one of the best discussions with members that I have read..

Hi Sane Family,

@Sandy-66,

thank for sharing on stigma, I certainly feel it everywhere. From the staff that care for me in ED when I have my psychosis and even the team within the metal health team which is really ironic. I have overheard "we have one of yours here" when ED handed over to the public mental health unit. The food in the unit is different to the mainstream services. When it runs out, that's it. We all know that the medications prescribed to make us better, make us hungry. When I was admitted for a non mental health admission, I had the option of room service, like ordering so I can eat what I want when I want and how much I want. This in itself sends me a message that when I am a mental ill health person I am less than, and not worthy which does nothing for my self esteem. To me it reinforces "I am my illness". Not that I am experiencing a temporary relapse in my illness,

I am so glad there is finally some reform occurring in mental health. However slow that might be. I have realised that it may have to start with us advocating for ourselves and each other. I also feel the mental ill-health stigma with work. I have been told " it was a mistake bringing you back here". This broke my heart, shattered my confidence and sent me on a relapse again believing what other people said to me.

I have since found out about peer support work. I think it is so important to have someone in the system every day teaching people who care for us how to care for us, which can only be done by those with lived experience. Victoria has taken this on very seriously and no doubt because of some tragedy that occurred.

I am waiting for QLD to catch up. I'm a nurse and would love to be a peer support worker. Helping change attitudes in ED's and mental health units. Supporting consumers during their admissions so their self esteem doesn't plummet so low that they lose confidence in getting better. 

Our admissions might be less frequent and less acute if there was that change in attitude. Attitude is not expensive.

Just my experiences.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance