Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Former-Member
Not applicable

Private hospital - tw, mention of self harm

Two questions:

1.  I know I need further help and am looking at various health insurances and it's so confusing.  How do you choose?  How do you know if they will cover your stay in hospital?  Are all insurance companies the same or do you have to phone each up and ask certain questions?  I'm not even sure where to start

2.  When going into hospital for a stay, I've been told that it would be a 3 week stay, how do you prepare.  I'm not sure how I will cope without self harming.  I understand going there is to learn other coping strategies but it scares me not having my normal coping skills available and having to go through the emotions without them.  The thought terrifies me.  Can anyone share some inspiration?

Thank you 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Private hospital - tw, mention of self harm

I have a lot of history  in this area and happy to share my experience if interested.

Hi @Former-Member 

I can’t really help with the private insurance question cause I don’t have it. But I have heard lots talk about it and some people will just call them up and ask them outright for what is the best cover for psychiatric inpatient care. I spoke with a lady last week and she said that’s the only cover she has. So as time consuming as it is, maybe just start calling some providers and asking them. 

Your second question, although I don’t have private health insurance, I did have a stay in a private mental health facility earlier this year as a publicly funded patient to have ECT treatment. It is my understanding that you do need to be ‘safe’ to stay at private facility’s. They don’t take high risk patient. They still did bag searches for sharps etc. but I felt in good hands there. There was always staff around to talk to. They were happy to dish out PRN medication when needed. And yes, you do learn new ways to cope. I made sure I had things to do all the time, I took in fidget toys, music, painting, there was a gym. And the other patients were lovely to talk to. And yes, the usual stay from my understanding is 3 weeks. 

hope that helps!

Thank you.  I really appreciate your feedback

Yes please, all advice would be appreciated
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance