Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Appleblossom
Community Elder

PHILOSOPHY

http://www.philosothon.org/index.html

Just curious to start a conversation about philosophy, especially the distinctions between Creative, Critical and Caring or Collaborative thinking. 

I have a handout I cannot upload but this is a link to a movement for philosophy in schools which could spark discussion, if people are interested.

I think that it is a good idea to look at thinking styles and being able to shift between them rather than lobbing another label on people.  It might help with various ideations.

21 REPLIES 21

Re: PHILOSOPHY

Hi @Appleblossom I think the various thinking styles u mentioned in Philosophy can change the way society thinks, especially toward labelling others. I have found listening to some of the best thinkers helps me ask myself, what do i believe, feel, value? Who am I behind the label? Do you have a Philosopher, or style you like? I like Ekhart Tolle & Alan Watts which i have watched on You Tube. i am not an academic and i didn't even finish high school, so any philosophical style that empowers a person to  think for themselves is good to me. What do you think? Bye, @1stepup61

Hello @1stepup61 Its been ages since I have seen you post.

I agree about listening to great thinkers. 

@Adek has been great in reminding me how many there are in today's society.

I go back to basics and think it means loving words and the value of words in society and how they shape us.

I started philosophy in 1st year uni and dropped it as it was very badly taught.  Never regretted buying the huge text on the booklist though ... lol

No I dont have a favourite thinker, but I think it can be very valuable to think about thinking, especially when mental health issues are at stake.  I am surprised it is not taken more seriously by the MH establishment.

My daughter was lucky to get some philosophy at High School.

I included that link as there is a movement to have philosophy taught at schools, even primary school.  I know a few people who advocate it. I was glad as it is a pity that some academics could wreck a perfectly good subject.

Just there are bush lawyers there can be bush philosophy and philososphy cafes and caves!

I thought it was good the way you phrased it that "society thinks". A lot of truth in that remark. @1stepup61

I read your other post.  Good Luck on your journey.  We cant CHANGE everything about ourselves or we would not recognise ourselves.  A little bit of change and little bit of understanding of why we are, the way we are helps. Dont you think?

Cheers Apple

Hi @Appleblossom, i like when you said, a little bit of change & a little bit of understanding, as to why we are the way we are? i totally agree! i have thought a lot about the why's & my feelings towards them & I recently came across a book called The Happiness Trap which is about Mindfulness in therapy. It is not the Buddhist Philosophy, but its similar where I can learn to allow thoughts to be present & not annalyse them, its based around the new science of we all think and have an inner voice or chatter. It has been a challenge for me, to let go of my thoughts. i am about to read a book my therapist gave me, to learn how to use the skill to manage my anxiety, it is called ACT, Acceptance, Commitment Therapy,so time will tell if its for me? on You Tube, there is a Philosopher & teacher named Alan Watts who's lectures are available to listen to for free, you might like his thoughts? He was a Californian Uni teacher in the 60s, 70s & 80s & I think it would have been interesting to have him as a lecturer. Better go, if you know Alan Watts, do you like is philosophy? Bye from @1stepup61

Adek
Senior Contributor

Hi @Appleblossom. Frankly...i don't really get what you wanna bring up on here...but today, after my visit to the orthopaedic i was scheduled for MRI on next visit since the Xray i had the previous month didn't seem to show anything. Then.. the neurophatic capsule X which had been prescribed earlier for fibromyalgia and piriformis syndrom was switched with another drug Z plus another painkiller.

The first thing i did when i reached home was going on chat threads for those who had been prescribed with X vs Z and reading on lab trials done on mice and finding statistics of clinical trials done on patients over placebo. What saddens me, although Z had shown better results in reducing neuropathic pain..the side effects were even greater up to the possibilities of a person turning blind. Weight gain, difficulty concentrating and impairment in thinking and judgment are also common with Z. On top of all that...i expect the doc will have a good explanation for prescribing me with it which i will question later on our next meet. Will be driving outstation in an hour for class...so i will delay on that new combo and try it tomorrow morning...maybe for a day or two cuz my biochemical atmosphere will normally detect if i'm hypersensitive to it soon enough.

Sometimes @eudemonism ..and at this point i wish i can just drop everything and let nature takes its toll. Sometimes i also wish i can be strong enough to just bear the pain if the bads of these meds outweigh the goods...as much as you do. But for now...these are all we can do for ourselves... research, resource, question, request and not simply jeopardize our mental and physical conditions into others deliberation..

I will look him up @1stepup61

I did have an uncle who did a Bachelor and Master of Arts in California and so have been influenced by some of the main ideas of those times.  He was not an uncle by blood but gave me the closest to decent guidance from a male relative when I was in teens and young adulthood.  However he was also a bit naughty in the typical ways of that culture and time.

I have been interested in Classical Greek, Roman, Christian and Buddhist philosophies since I was about 20.  I also explore and try and understand Islam from similar points of view as there are a lot of adherents in my suburb and I sit next to them on public transport and chat.

However I also like that philosophy does not have to be tied to religion or ethnicity.

I respect your background as a biologist @Adek and if your research leads you to question I take it seriously.  It is good we can communicate with words to share and understand life and the meds which are now part of modern life.

There is a lot of overlap between science and philosophy and what is contructed as reality or truth.

I am sorry you are dealing with pain and fibromyalgia.  I have a lot of these things too and am abiding by doctors decisions as diligently but responsibly which also means inteilligently, as I can. Just sharing your research here may help others make good decisions.

Not sure if this interests you @eudemonism

Take Care ALL

I agree that philosophy does not have to be tied to religion or ethnicity, but it's good to know where others thoughts come from as well. @1stepup61

Been looking at Alan Watts. Thanks for the idea. @1stepup61

He is definitely my cup of tea. 

A lot deeper and inclusive a thinker that norty uncle of mine.  I came from an under educated family and this uncle was the most educated person I had met at that time.  Unfortunately his ethics were less than his education.  It take a while as a young person to sift through all those things.

It is a very good idea to know where people's ideas are coming from.

I have a knock at my door.  Expected visitor.

CHeers Apple

Hi everyone, an interesting topic. I have read the belief of philosophy is the fundamental nature of knowledge, existence and reality especially as an academic stream. But also a theory or attitude that guides behaviour. I've read that and tho it sums it up to me? there is variables in how people interpret or use it as an approach to different parts of their lives. I do think people can have a 'critical reasoning' mind when reading philosophy. I'm biast ...yep I know....I tend to read female philosophers because I think females in any era understand 'struggle' and that's a whole subject just there. At the time when I was reading thoughts of female philosophers I wanted validation for things affecting my life at the time.
I have read a few male philosophers. Someone gave me a book by 'Betrand Russell'...and told me he was a great philosopher. I was critical of the author and didn't believe half the *s***t* that was written but thats me...bad I know. His comparison of historians was very interesting tho.
Its an interesting 'thought' I think that there may exist a 'philosophy about mental illness in the wider sense of how the mind interacts with memory, trauma, experiences, hallucinations, hearing voices, reality and ideal existence. There is a wealth of thoughts here on this 'forum' of experiences which I suppose can be slotted into a 'box' of philosophy ideals but as you may know it is always up for debate.
Like? reality versus existence for people living with a mental illness...good stuff in there hehe...ooops I'm sidetracking....I do that lol Good topic @Appleblossom
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance