Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Former-Member
Not applicable

News & Weather Triggers

My 13yo girl died (unprecedented acute asthma episode) in the month of the Qld 2011 floods. Can't help but wonder if there was a mould or something about from all the floods. And of cause, now we know about 'thunderstorm asthma'. Now today, with schools closed & 500mm rainfall predicted in some areas (100mm in an hour killed 12 ppl in a town near us that year) and the big dam floodgates were opened flooding the brisbane river where my son was - and still lives. Of cause I'm so worried about him. Laying still, in the foetal position isn't stopping the anxiety, the flashbacks / bad memories, agitated - gonna have to take something or 'get busy' pray pray pray for my son's safety & wellbeing.

Does anyone else get stressed with the weather, and the media hype?
3 REPLIES 3

Re: News & Weather Triggers

Mine is bushfires @Former-Member

I was in one when I was on holidays in the 1960's and although it rained before we needed to be evacuated I saw the fires and it looked some some circle of Dante's inferno - but it was not a personal thing like your daughter dying from asthma during the floods of 2011

But yes - for you the hype of news casts and the truth that your son still lives in the area that you have moved from is horrible for you. I get het up when teenage dingbats play up and cause trouble in the juvenile justice centre where my son died - so I know EXACTLY what you are talking about - I get it - I have been there and it returns and bothers me until I ring up and learned what is really happening and I can calm down again

And we can't control what other people do any better than we can control the weather

Having your daughter die from asthma like that was horrific - I have had bad asthma myself in the past and know how that feels and I have seen severe asthma in my brother and on cousin and know it's actually worse to watch someone battling to breathe than it is to have that yourself

But for you - yes - I get it - I can't know exactly what you are feeling but I know what your are saying very well -

I am here for you - we are all here for you

Dec

Former-Member
Not applicable

Thanks @Owlunar, I can't move, just paralysed (mentally) in bed here

I know - I know I know I know @Former-Member

Stay there and keep warm Tawnz - I get it - I am not that bad but I am having a day of it myself - and I feel cold

I watched TV for a while - or whatever I might do for the rest of the is getting by and holding onto the air for support - different from the memories of the cyclone and the flood though

In 2011 with those floods or was it Yasi as well - I forget - my brother had to get a flight to Melbourne because our father was dying - and people were being evacuated - so I am a bit tied up in that event myself - and my brother got an inch of mud through his house in Queensland and counts himself lucky

Even so with all the people getting onto the flights out of Brisbane my brother got a priority flight

I have to look it up - I think it must have been floods but I will see

Thinking of you - strange how having events in 2011 hit us at the same time - my Dad was my hero and yet I think he had a good death - if there is such a thing - he was frail aged and blind and as a man of faith - he was ready to go and left. He left a massive hole in my life but I have filled that with my memories and being so much like him myself - he hasn't gone far

Different age - different circumstances - but the loss of someone we love - it's tough - but it is much harder losing a child - having lost both my parents I can tell you that the loss of J is far harder - a far harder thing for you - and your son living in Brisbane too - I get how you feel paralyzed - nothing you can do

I am looking things up Tawnz - and holding you in my own tired and cluttered thoughts and not feeling so alone myself

Dec

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance