Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Sans911
Community Elder

My mental health respite

So, I wanted to share with you my respite away from home that I'm hoping will unstuck the stuck me, and reset my neurological pathways to a different outlook. This place, in the burbs of Perth is a little haven of homeliness and gentle care. There's a small number of people here of various diagnoses, and we share rooms with same sex. So there's 2 other ladies in my room. It's a large home, and essentially you have to care for yourself. No one makes you do anything you don't want, but if you want to chat about life, your MI and get some perspective & guidance, there's nurses here 24/7. Obviously, you have to hand over your meds, and no drugs and alcohol are permitted.

The head nurse is a DBT Guru, something that @CheerBear, @Pheonix_Rising & @Zoe7 would love to have a natter with. He's very perceptive but gently proves and before i knew it, Id told him everything (well, a scaled down version). He said I was holding so much stress, more than most, and was surprised how 'normal' I presented. He recognised my recent high levels of anxiety, and how that was impacting my inability to feel comfortable with change.

I've been here since Friday afternoon. Saturday I had an anxiety meltdown, and thought it was nuts being here, and I was probably better to admit myself to hospital as I was very intent on doing major harm to myself. A phone call to my case manager set me right, plus a prn, and essentially riding out the storm. Sunday was a better day, where I walked to get a paper, stopped for a coffee, and also stopped at a greengrocer. Dinner was a communal affair on this night, and although conversation was minimal, it was nice to be among others. I haven't made any buddies here, as I've essentially kept to myself. But I took a walk yesterday with a patient & nurse, and I repeated the walk on my own today.

So I've agreed to be here until next Monday, as going home on the weekend could bring me undone. It's the time I feel most lonely and despair, and when my impulses to SH are highest. Every day I will do a little work with one of the nurses on DBT stuff especially interpersonal skills and distress tolerance skills.

The really great thing is I can come back here anytime things get unbearable & hospital isn't a option. And I can call the nurses if I'm distressed or in crisis as they know my history. It's good to have another support option. There is only two places like this in Perth. It's a shame there's not more.

I'll back with an update tommorrow.

@outlander @Faith-and-Hope @Former-Member
69 REPLIES 69

Re: My mental health respite

@Sans911  ...for your room Heart

@Sans911 - this sounds so great ☺ I'm so happy for you that you're there and that you're describing it the way you are

The other day I found something I wrote in the nest and thought of you after talking about the way this respite place sounds like the break place. I'll dig it up and post it at some stage if you'd like? It was about how I felt when I left, and what had changed. It felt good to read and it's the hope I have for you when you're leaving too.

Well done for making it there 💗

Former-Member
Not applicable

@Sans911it sounds like an extremely supportive and beneficial place. I am glad that you have settled in there a bit better as I know the first few nights were super hard for you. Good job for not giving up with the respite home.

It is also good to hear that you can go back there whenever you feel the need to and it is another support option for you when you are home in your house. I hope it helps in lowering your SH impulses and gives you a better outlook on your life, that you so deserve.

Thinking of you and big hugs! Heart

Sounding all very positive @Sans911
Im super glad your getting this support and making it a productive time ❤❤❤ looking forward to hearing more about your stay both good and bad ❤❤

IMG_0073.JPG

Something else for your room to go with @Zoe7's flowers @Sans911 ..... 

💜💐💕

Former-Member
Not applicable

This respite care sounds like a wonderful chance for much deserved rest and healing. I wish they had something like that in Sydney as my daughter would benefit from DBT. Look forward to hearing how it all goes. I so hope you find reprieve and healing from this stay. I leave you with this before you go. Will be thinking of you.IMG_1036.JPG

Former-Member
Not applicable

@Sans911 this place sounds so good. I'm glad you are in a safe and supportive place right now and hope that it leads to improvements for you that go home with you. It really does sound gentle and matched to your own needs which is great. Take care

@Sans911 how are you going? ❤

@outlander I'm just on the Topic Tuesday thread. I'm alright today. Be back to you in a bit ok? I've been keeping up with your threads
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance