Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Former-Member
Not applicable

Meditation whilst manic

I am coming down from a 4-day manic episode. Things were very chaotic, and I was bouncing off the walls. At one point, I was so wired I felt a similar experience to being intoxicated even though I don't drink or do drugs. However, at some point, I managed to focus enough to meditate to a 2-hour loop of the Jesus prayer. Its use is an integral part of the eremitic tradition of prayer known as heychasm.  Anyway, the fact that it is an Eastern Orthodox/Byzantine Catholic practice is inconsequential. I went about my household chores while maintaining the breathing exercise, which followed the cadence of the singer. What is important is the breathing and mindfulness technique that you can do to pretty much any cultures mantra or, if you prefer, a piece of music with a consistent beat. Over the course of the 2 hours, I found that while my mind was distracted with many thoughts, the consistent breathing pattern would centre me. 

1 REPLY 1

Re: Meditation whilst manic

Hi @Former-Member thanks for this post.

I've found comfort at times through meditation with a mantra or repetitive breath prayers. I can do it sitting, lying or walking depending on context and what's happening. I also enjoy the music of John Tavener and Arvo Part.

Mindful breathing really helps me at times of stress and overwhelm. 

I'm interested atm in exploring centring prayer rather than continuously reciting a mantra. It might suit better with stillness and low mood. 

Peace...

Dimity

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance