Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Tehla
New Contributor

Manage Bipolar Lows

Hi im new here and am seeking some personal feedback, on how to manage bi polar lows, what have you tried to help ride or improve the wave of the lows?

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Manage Bipolar Lows

Welcome to the forums @Tehla ,

I hope you our amazing community will be able to share what's worked for them.

Please know you are not alone.

Feel free to also visit Welcome! Introduce yourself here 🙂 

Hi @Tehla 

When you say "bipolar lows" do you mean depression or feeling flat?

I feel quite flat right now with the medication I am on but I still experience a small range of emotions, such as excitement, like when I see a dog, and sadness.

Depression is something I'm not as familiar about however I'm sure there are other people on the forums who can help you.

~BipolarPenguin

Welcome, @Tehla  🙂 

I don't have bipolar, but you can type "bipolar" into the Search bar above to find threads on that topic. 

Also, do you have a doctor or a psychologist that you could ask? 

A handy forum tip is if you type @ and then click on a name in the drop-down box, that person will get a notification and won't miss your reply.

Good luck 🙂

When I had highs/lows transdermal magnesium worked in both instances. All you need to do is buy magnesium oil and massage into your skin. It does not matter how much oil you use - the body only absorbs what it needs! I have heard other peoples feedback that magnesium oil works a treat with their bipolar. You can also buy a variation of magnesium in the form of "flakes" that you can put in a bath. Anyway magnesium absorbed through the skin or a.k.a transdermal magnesium works really well and was an excellent fallback strategy for me and many other people @Tehla 

Hi @Tehla

Welcome to the forums!

You may be interested in the discussion Topic Tuesday: Let's Talk About Bipolar, particularly page 5 and onwards, where some members have discussed what has proven helpful for them during lows or in their recovery as a whole. Topic Tuesday: World Bipolar Day also features some discussion around supports for wellbeing, particularly from page 7 onwards. 

Well done on reaching out, and I hope you find some helpful insight 🙂 

Hi, im referring to the dark loud of depression that arises and sticks around, most files during this I feel like im buried alive 😭 it's very overwhelming and conflicting because im very much the opposite kind of person within, im driven, positive, empathic and rational when I am at baseline, the riskiest time for me is when a low comes and in the past two years iv been on a rapid cycle 🤦 it's becoming very hard to continue to push through.

Hello @Tehla 

Do you take medication? There are some very effective meds for bipolar. I'm not technically diagnosed as bipolar but I was prescribed a medication used to treat the depressive symptoms of it. Whilst I don't consider myself to be completely depression free, it has helped to get rid of that really despondent and despairing melancholic type of depression. (Sorry if this is distressing for anyone to read) It was the type that made me cry and cry for absolutely no reason, just an absolute sorrow. The good news is I don't get that anymore. So maybe check in with your GP and review any medications?

It's hard to say what else is useful but I think if there is someone who you can hug and just let it all out with them judging you, go to them. It might be a friend or family member (for me it is my partner) or even a pet. Having a big cry without holding back, doesn't matter how ridiculous you feel can be cathartic. It really does help!

Take care

Hi lovely,

I track my moods daily, which helps me to identify my personal patterns, triggers and early warning signs. Catching things early has been really helpful - it's easier to take steps early on, and for me it can reduce the severity and length of the low. If I see depression starting to take hold (or signs that it's on the horizon), I do some things I've outlined in my own depression action plan.

I pay extra attention to self care, especially eating healthfully and keeping a consistent sleep routine. For me, neglecting these will contribute to my mood state getting worse. For example, this can look like filling my fridge with ready-to-eat meals so I expend less effort on cooking and I'm less likely to skip meals. I make sure I have time for mindfulness and gentle relaxation - I try to spend time in nature or quietly petting my cat.

I reduce my commitments that might contribute to me feeling overwhelmed. Overwhelm burns a lot of my energy and makes me anxious - when feeling low I need every bit of energy I can get my paws on. Sometimes this also looks like time off work, or working from home. Or stepping back from things I had agreed to do like a volunteering task or helping a friend. Overextending myself isn't helpful.

I'll also check in with my support network: my healthcare team and also my closer friends. My healthcare team will then be in a great position to monitor my mood over time and make recommendations. I have helpline and crisis information prepared in my plan so I already know who I can turn to - I don't have to hunt for the resources when I'm feeling unwell. My friends stay in touch and offer help because they know I'm terrible at asking for it (I'm working on that).

When I'm really struggling I use little self-care depression kits I've made ahead of time to save energy. Like one near my bath that's prepared with candles, bubble bath, towel, moisturiser - I can just grab it and cosy-bath-time without much effort. Or one that's in my bedroom with some trail mix so I can at least get a little nutrition even if I can't muster the motivation to leave the room.

I also trick myself into baby steps of progress. Getting up feels like too much? When I get up and use the loo, I trick myself into grabbing a glass of water while I'm walking past the kitchen. I might trick myself to sitting on the couch for a little while instead of returning to bed. At one time at my worst, my goal was just to not spend all day in bed - moving to the couch was a victory. That sort of thing.

The most important thing I think is to be gentle with ourselves, and to celebrate small victories.

Very true @gumboots .

I absolutely agree with you. Celebrate those little wins and track things to catch them early. It can make a world of difference to one's recovery.

Thank you so much for sharing and great to have you with us.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance