Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Hyperballad
Senior Contributor

MH in the workplace

I was wondering how people manage mental health in the workplace. It’s something I’ve struggled with and especially at the moment. It makes dealing with the interpersonal side and politics of work complicated, and can turn into a chicken and egg thing where I don’t know the my MH is influencing my outlook or vice versa. I keep my MH experiences to myself for the most part, other than maybe once making a lighthearted comment about having a therapist. It’s a real challenge for me and really has gotten in the way of my career progression. I honestly don’t think I can see myself stepping up further in my career and so much of my life has been in and out of therapy and focused on improving my MH as a focus. 

23 REPLIES 23

Re: MH in the workplace

Hyperballad I have been in your shoes a few times prior to retiring, my MH had also had impacts dealing w politics and chicken before the egg I chose chicken cause it's gotta be healthy to lay an egg light punn there is nothing wrong going to therapy as long as you comming out w tool boxes to help you strategies your next move be career focus set goals be the person you want set out to be don't let MH win fight the best fight
Best of luck friend

Hi @Hyperballad ,

Thank you for sharing your experience with mental health in the workplace. You absolutely aren't alone in your experience. It can be such a hard experience to be working with mental health issues however it's not impossible. I think @Daddymac made a great suggestion there with their chicken and egg pun about deciding whats most important and focusing on that. 

A couple of different thoughts/ideas. Have you had a chance to speak with your manager/boss about how you are going? By having an honest chat about your mental health you may be able to discuss some accomodations to make the workplace easier for you. Just like physical health issue, accomodations can be made and mental health is health and just as important as physical health. It might be worth organising a meeting and before you head in writing up a list of accomodations that could help you be your best at work. 

The other thought I had was potentially looking for work at a different company that does put an emphasis and care onto mental health and ensuring their employees are doing okay and taking care of their wellbeing. I know it's not ideal in the short term however in the long run when trying to balance health and a career it's important that those you are working with are on your side and supporting you so you can be your best for your work and your wellbeing.

I hope this gives you a couple of ideas of ways you can maybe shift things to make the workplace an easier place to be and to create a place where you're supported through your health in a way that allows you to progress in your career.

@Hyperballad I've been through this cycle with multiple employers to the point of burning out every time. Being honest about who I am and speaking more openly about mental health has helped me settle into a work environment were I am finding more support.

If this place isn't working with you, is it really a place you want to be working? 

Try not to put to much pressure on yourself to need this job or having the idea that you need to be progressing.

It's important to reflect on what's really important to you and prioritize that.

@LilMapleLeaf @Tranquil_Atoms @Daddymac 

thanks for your support and sharing your experiences. I haven’t really mentioned my MH at work in the past and I think I am in a workplace that talks about the importance of this stuff a lot so maybe there is scope for me to have that conversation. Usually I try to just hold myself together through it. At the moment I feel particularly wobbly.

it has made me think that I do need to prioritise my health rather than the pressure of my career. I really just need to chill. I’ve been in flight-fight mode constantly for some time. 

going to visit my GP tomorrow to see if I can get a referral to a psychiatrist. I’ve been doing everything right with managing this I think. Sometimes I just want to scream or to escape all of this. Focused on staying grounded. 

@Hyperballad 

You seem to be taking the right steps in your journey. Don't forget to take a break when you need.

I realised this evening that a dear of losing my job has pretty much happened across my whole career. So far I’ve never been fired, I’ve resigned for a new job. I look at my cv and i can see my anxiety written through it. It’s very much shaped my career as I’m on the run from something that’s really inside of me.

That's so hard @Hyperballad 

If that happened to me, I think I'd feel super discouraged and a sense of rejection each time.

What have you done or could do to navigate it?

@tyme I think it’s about confronting my fears around this (working through that in therapy) and sitting with them, understanding that it’s probably related to a deeper sense of self-esteem and fear of failure. So therapy and self-care and braving through things. Also reaching out to someone at work who I can trust. 

In the short term, I’m watching Finding Nemo tonight haha

Looks like you have a lot of insight there @Hyperballad . Good on you. Allow yourself to have time to work through some of these things...

And, in the meantime, why not watch Finding Nemo! I love that movie... Dory esp.

I'm hopping off now. I'll speak to you some other time.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance