Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Let's do Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT)

Ohhhh what are you going to study @CheerBear? (Not sure if I've already asked you this..... I have a terrible memory!) I'd love another study buddy on here!
Have stuff to say about the rest of your post..... but I need more cognitive space than I have right now to do that.
*goes to the library to download the next chapter of the dbt book*

"Cognitive space" now thats a better concept than cognitive deficit. @Former-Member

I think that is part of the answer to being able to complete those complex tasks whilst dealing with a storm.

Sometimes the space can come from extra time.

Sometimes the space can come from extra confidence and support.

There is also the Tough and Tender minded dichotomy.

Being a mum, and for lots of other reasons non gender realted, sometimes the tender minded aspect can swamp us with big feelings while the tougher aspect can be more focussed and cerebral.

I've been tossing up future study options this year, but with mothering commitment BIG for at least 6 months I might wait til next semester or next year.  

It could be a good year to work on the more relaxing feeling connectedness part of life.

Love this thread. @Phoenix_Rising I try and explain. I would not dump you, but not sure how you feel about me.

Gentleigh Bentleigh can good.

Surfing a tsunami thrilling or terrifying ???

Cheers ALL

@CheerBear what are you planning to study? Will it be at a university? 

It would be well worth while investigating what support services are available to you...

I access durability support services (I do struggle with the naming of that, and have raised this concern at a student rep meeting) and would not be able to do it (study) with out the accommodation's that have been made. I only accessed this initially at the instance of a lecturer who could see I was struggling. 

I agree with what @Phoenix_Rising said, there is no 'just doing it' when under pressure, when I am in a crisis I slip into auto mode and am unable to do the simplest of tasks, something I find incredibly frustrating (my main issue is burnout but depression is an issue during long periods of crisis). 

Last semester 2 of my major assessment's were submitted with a pass grade even with the benefit of 2 weeks extension on each. Both assessments while complex and not intended to be 'easy' were not unreasonably difficult and at the beginning of semester I was aiming for high 80s or even above 90% grade . In the end no amount of additional time was going to make ant difference 😞.  At the same time I dont think it is good to just put life on  hold incase something goes wrong. (Keeping in mind that everyones circumstance is different, and basing this on my enviornment).

This inability to function under pressure makes it impossible to maintain full time employment, the main reason for my study is that it would not be healthy for me to be doing nothing. 

Ooh @Determined, have you and @Former-Member crossed paths in a study thread?

I'll be returning to study @Determined (hopefully). There's a similar service through uni but the institution I am with seems very keen on grabbing students and less keen on helping them through a course (it's been an ongoing issue). My psych is already on to it though.

From what I have caught of your story, you have a huge load you carry and that does make things really hard. Total respect for how much it doesn't work to try to just do something you can't. Also huge respect for being able to recognise there are times when you can't do something too.

Burnout is definitely something I have to keep an eye on also and probably occurs following times I have pushed through (or tried to) when perhaps it would have been healthier for me to step back.

@Appleblossom I like the idea of tough and tender minded. Most tsunamis are pretty terrifying for me. Not sure about others and whether there's an element of thrill to it for them, but for me, nope. Just mostly really scary.

SO maybe you need to surf them in an aircraft carrier @CheerBear with lots of good soldiers

for a bit of protection and 

you can always fly away if needed.

I just love @Phoenix_Rising

wave theme.

Being a surfer when I was young and also in the physics lab.

Just finding ways to insert options into the 

COGNITIVE SPACE.

Maybe @Appleblossom. Or maybe I will keep hunting for eleventy billion dollars so I can change the things in the world which seem to cause a lot of tsunamis (and also invest in a giant fluffy unicorn to hold on to and ride on the back of!) 🙂

@Former-Member, I could also do with a study buddy, I think you may have told me this already but what are you studying? 

I do recall a while ago seeing a study thread of yours but has been a crazy year so never got back to it and couldn't find it later.

@Phoenix_Rising I would say that it is their personal opinion. My diagnosis & prognosis is "guarded" I only know that one label attached to my case is severe PTSD.

I also dissociate alot usually requiring hospitalization due to my behaviours during that time.

To be honest I am happy that I have finally found a medical team i trust. It has taken years

Gosh...... been trying to read a few chapters of the book this evening and I keep dissociating/zoning out and losing time.
I'm no sure what I'm finding so distressing as to trigger it, but i hope the contents of the next few chapters explain how to cope with this!!!!!

@Former-Member I have had a similar time the last 24 hours. I'v decided to go to bed and hope I wake up improved if not I will be heading to hospital
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance