Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Lucky2015
Contributor

Increasing Empathy Through The Use Of Our Language.

Hi,

I mentioned this before. About labelling. For instance: "FirstName is mentally ill" versus "FirstName suffers from mental illness".

Have found the distinction useful for myself, but just read this article on it.

http://www.iflscience.com/brain/labeling-people-mentally-ill-increases-stigma

Thought you might find it helpful and interesting.

Regards

Lucky

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Increasing Empathy Through The Use Of Our Language.

I thought it showed how subtle stigma can be.

Thanks for posting it @Lucky2015

What about 'FirstName is living with mental illhealth' ?

The word 'victim' may promote a 'victim mentallity' whereas to say that someone is 'living with mental illhealth' changes it to something more positive - like a feeling of hope.

Good point at @Former-Member 'living' suggests that they can take part in life just like anyone else.

Words and symbols can make such a big difference. In New York, they've changed the disabled sign to this. I think it's interesting as it portray that a person who lives with disability is physical able. What do other think?

disability.png

Hi @Lucky2015 That is an important issue you raise. Indeed stigma can be perpetuated through our use of language.

I try to be careful to use phrases like "person X is living with schizophrenia" rather than "person X is a schizophrenic". The latter implies that an individuals entire personhood is defined by schizophrenia. The former suggests that a schizophrenia diagnosis is just one aspect of a person, but it does not necessarily define who they are. This language can set an example to consider what else a person could be... e.g., are they a talented photographer? Do they like cooking? Are they a kind friend? 

I have noticed several leading mental health organisations such as NEAMI National and MIND Australia who have adopted a very person-centred approach to recovery, now ditching the term "illness" for "ill-health" which I admire. I hope we can see more of this language used in the future. 

It is interesting to see how language evolves over time. For example, it wasn't too long ago that people living with disability were referred to as 'retarded' or 'spastic'. Those terms are now considered derogatory and would not be tollerated anymore, though they were once widely used and accepted within the disability community itself.

I wonder what people with a lived experience think about this issue? Feel free to jump in with any thoughts @Jacques @Mazarita @MoonGal @Former-Member or any others who'd like to share their 2 cents. Thanks again for sharing @Lucky2015 - this is great food for thought!

Hi @Mosaic & @Lucky2015,

I find that the language of Mental Illness is less offensive to me than being called everything else, because i suffer agrophobia, BPD & Depression no one is interested to know what is wrong with me, they just like saying i am fat, lazy, dole bludger, slow, retarded, mummy's boy, fridgid, a new term i have learned is wizard (someone who is over 30 and a virgin) a drain on society, gosh i can go on and on, these names hurt me more than if someone said you are bipolar, or your depressive. 

Just my opinion, i don't know if others have been the butt of others jokes or put downs, but these names hurt way more than anything that can be said about my mental health.

Sorry if i am so bleak, but this is what i put up with every day, the last time i was called one of these names was on the wekend. 😞

Jacques

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance