Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

outlander
Community Guide

Going off meds?

Hi guys
Ive checker the scales once again and im still gaining weight and its only been aince i started these new meds.

I dont know what to do. The weight gain isnt good for mental or physical health but i cant budge it. I was warned id probably gain just a few kgs when i firstly started but ive gained a whopping 15kgs
I know alot of that is also because ive been abit lazy but geez in only 4 months ive been on them im questioning if its worth it anymore!.

They work fantastic for my anxiety and depression but if i go off them i know what will happen and it wont end well. Ive already changed meds 3 times and i dont want to change anymore.

Actually both of my tablets cause weight gain!
The first ones made me sick and shed the kgs like flies but these ones are shocking for weght gain

What would you do? Im stuck. I know your not health professionals i want peer advice on what the heck to do cause its stressing me more having all this weight put on

Im going to increase my exercised to an extra hour a day as well but my god 15kg in only 4 months is ridiculous!!
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Going off meds?

Unfortunately @outlander I too take medications which are notorious for weight gain. In total I've gained 35kg in the decade I've been on them. This puts me at risk for type 2 diabetes, heart disease and other weight-related illnesses. Having said that, I am just not able to stop taking my meds. I've tried and relapsed with shocking and destructive results. I know now I need them to function 'normally'. 

Can you try voicing your concerns with your doctors rather than just stop taking them? I hear totally what you are saying, but would hate for you to relapse and go backwards.

@outlander. All meds have some side effects. You need to work out what is worse - being off the meds back to how you were - or this weight gain? Can you put in some extra exercise time - to help with the weight gain.
Personally I would prefer to take the meds thathelp with my MI. But that is me. You need to work out what's right for you. But whatever you do - don't just stop taking them. Talk with your doctor first.

@outlander You already answered your own question - They work fantastic for my anxiety and depression but if i go off them i know what will happen and it wont end well.

I want to take them but i have been victim to some very serious bullying from being over weight and i dont want that to happen.
Ill ask my gp next week when i see her but idont think ahe will agree to me coming off them
I cant stand my weight or the way i look. It screws with my MI as well...
I will have to try and increase my exercise again.
I want to stay alive which is what the meds are doing but my weight. God i cant stand it!

Hey @outlander,

Oh boy do I have empathy for you experience. I remember going on antipsychotics being somebody who is incredibly weight conscious and really struggling with the weight gain. I do heaps of exercise but have still struggled with the extra weight. I feel like it's nearly impossible to manage and that really sucks but I guess you have to ask yourself how much you value your mental health as opposed to your external appearance. You can exercise a lot and combat the weight gain itself (something I do currently) but you will unfortunately still have some excess weight as that is a consequence of the medication, whatever it is. 

I did take time off my meds at one point to try and reduce my weight but it was pretty nasty. For most people I think it's just a periof of coming to terms with it. It really sucks. I empathise with you 110%. But do you value your sanity and mental wellbeing more than your physical appearance? With the right amount of exercise you can bring the side effects close to nil but it's a solid investment in physical exercise. Personally I find the exercise complementary and it's stopped me worrying about the side effects but you have to make that decision to throw in all the effort. It's worth it. It might be hard for a bit but all difficult habits are learned then become easy. It's another part of your day.

If you have any more questions feel free to message me. 

Much love,

Pat.

Hi @outlander, some medications affect our weight more than others. I think it might take a psychiatrist to be able to prescribe well in your case. But, like others, I have slowly put on a lot of weight over the past decade since starting bipolar meds. I also choose medication despite the weight gain. I'd rather be better in myself, my moods, my thoughts, my responses to others. Not to mention less tortured. Yes, it bugs me that I have a belly etc. But this society values skinny bodies way too much I think. You just have to take a look at art all down the centuries to see the different ways (and sizes) beauty has been found. So I take a bit of a defiant attitude about it. It's the person who matters most to me anyway. Heart

@outlander Hi outlander I to have put on weight but because of overeating on rubblish which I will now stop. I tend to go through fazes so I know the weight will drop and if it doesn't you know I really don't care. I am at an age where I just want to be happy not worry about my weight anymore.

Personally I would never give up my meds because I know the consequences and that scares me half to death regardless of weight gain or anything else for that matter.

I hope this helps a bit.

xxx

Hi @outlander. Lots of stories here about weight gain and the pro's to stay on medication. I have gone off medication twice over 10 years because I was so fat. I dont mind saying that. I shed 17kgs the first time. I shed 19 kgs the second time. I didn't even do anything it dropped off over 4 months. Then I exercised. I lasted 2 years the first time and had to go back on meds. I lasted just over a year the second time and had to go back on meds. It was the health problems I was experiencing that led me to go off meds. Diabetes, chest problems, onging urinary tract infections, developed psorasis, breathing difficulties. Actually one thing was I never got the flu lol people around me would be sick and I never got it...bit weird.

I am on my third round of no meds. I've shed 23kgs this time. Its been 17 months. No physical health problems now to talk about. But? its a lot more work for me to stay well. I have twice questioned my decision to be off meds. It took a long time to get support from my pyschologist, pychiatrist, support worker to work with me to stay well and be off meds. They didn't like it. I was scared they would 'section' me.
It was not a beauty image or body image reason for me to come off meds. There are positives for me with this decision. I do have to work hard at keeping focussed , to interact with others, and 'cope' with anxiety...I mean who knows? I could end up on meds again.

For now I am physically ok and working at living with a MI. It's not for everyone and I don't encourage other's to do that. I am saying this because I think I can do it. But everyone is different and everyone's lifestyle and 'symptons' and 'affects' of MI is different.

I just wanted to put another scenario out there.

Hi everyone thank you for sharing your experiences and perspectives. Its given me a lot to think about.
I want to go off my meds but at this point in time i dont think its a good move.
I guess to be able to function and actually loose weight i have have some sort of functioning mind.

Does anyone have any good weight loss tips while on these medications.

My mental health is going because of the weight gain as well so its important that i loose thr weight as well
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance