Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Anxiousmavis
Contributor

Finding a GP

Hello ,

Right now I’m trying to find the right GP in my mental health journey as step one. However , i usually use my local AMS and my usual Dr is on holiday and after a pretty bad fall I had to go and have some tests done that are sever triggers to my OCD around chemicals and medical stuff. I had X-rays , CT scan and am scheduled to have an MRI , so getting to my issue I had t meet with a Dr I have bad history with , I don’t know if it’s his lack of mental Health understanding or him not explaining things to me , or kinda telling me worse case scenario which kinda drives my anxiety crazy I’m not saying his a bad Dr but is it wrong to try and ask for another Dr ? 
in the past he freaked me out after telling me I could have a brain tumour , turns out it was hormonal prolactin levels, then now he tells me I could need surgery or pins in my knees which was actually incorrect, is it wrong to ask to not see him ? They should share my records and all Drs be able to access them at the AMS . Even worse I kinda vented to a Dr tonight about my past experiences with this Dr  after he said it was fine my knee and no surgery or pins needed ,  i feel guilty because I don’t often complain about Drs to other Drs , maybe I’m over reacting ? Maybe it’s my anxiety or ocd but I feel shitty about venting and even more shittier about wanting to ask for another Dr .

I have to go back to him but just don’t want to , he’s probably not a bad Dr but he just doesn’t understand me. I feel guilty and like a bad person 

12 REPLIES 12

Re: Finding a GP

@Anxiousmavis wrote:

is it wrong to try and ask for another Dr ? 

@Anxiousmavis  it's definitely not wrong to ask for another GP. I wouldn't go back to that doctor myself. 

You're not a bad person...we all need to feel comfortable with our GP. 

Thankyou for your reply , I’m asking to change Dr’s I think it’s important particularly with this stuff to be comfortable and confident with my Dr and I wasn’t .
Much appreciated, hopefully my old Dr will be back soon

Hi @Anxiousmavis,

I just finished reading your post and I really feel for you. I think what you talk about is valid and probably more common than we may think. Some GPs are fantastic at the text book stuff but don't know how to interact well with people that may have phobias/fears around medical things. There is actually something called medical trauma where some people have been seriously affected around the medical industry.

To me a GP is like a hairdresser, a mechanic or any other service provider. If you don't feel comfortable with them why would you go to them? Especially if you are finding yourself feeling worse after you visit them or highly anxious before your visit. Of course you should go to a GP but I think you shouldn't feel guilty or that you are a bad person because you don't want to go to a GP that doesn't fit in with what you needs are. I think a lot of people may feel the way you do.

Warm wishes, 

FloatingFeather 

Thankyou for you reply, I appreciate it greatly as I am still learning how to deal with my OCD and anxiety more appropriately than I had in the past. I’m thinking I have a bit of medical past trauma especially around some invasive stuff , and it doesn’t help when your phobias are around things that are important when you hurt yourself. I’m changing Drs as I will feel better when my regular Dr is back . And you’re right not many Drs may know how to handle mental health , but that doesn’t mean I need to put myself through that uncomfortableness if I feel I’m not connecting to a GP. This has helped a lot Thankyou

Hi @Anxiousmavis 

As my Nanan used to say, heaven's above!!! That dr would send my health anxiety into absolute overdrive! I would be changing drs for sure. To be honest I'd run a mile from that one lol. Seriously though, you have every right to change drs. I need a dr that will calm me, not unnecessarily alarm me. Definitely don't feel guilty either. Easier said than done, I know, but honestly you'll be glad you changed to a dr you're more comfortable with. 

Sending hugs

Hanami

Thankyou I’ve decided to get another Dr and anything the Dr says to listen to but not let it affect me as I will be getting a second Drs opinion due to the lack of trust. I’ll just try and wait for my usual Dr and maybe in the meantime find another Dr even if it means moving places . I’m going to prioritise my mental health.l first.

Thankyou for those words , I do know that after this I’m going to seek a second opinion and get a new Dr I’m more comfortable with till mines back. I might even keep an eye out for a Dr with an interest in mental health . I’m pretty focused on getting my mental health prioritised , and trying to really heal but also consider my mental state too

Thankyou I’m going to prioritise my mental health and try and find a Dr with an interest in mental health for sure

Watch out for what you wish for.

I had a nice honest young doctor who had a couple of young children and the rest of her life to learn from.

She diagnosed my condition as being a "crap magnet" as no matter what I do nothing goes right in the end.

People take offence to this diagnoses yet I respect it as it was 100% accurate as she validated her belief some months later.

She had a secret that most would never be told when she disappeared from the public eye.

She had cancer so I lost a 20 something year old doctor who understood and was honest enough to tell it as it was and offer whatever support she could give as we were both lost causes trying to make the best of what we had despite our individual challenges.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance