Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Jamc
Senior Contributor

Fear

I have a week off work in 2 weeks planing to do a day trip from home to Brisbane & return leave 6am will not get back 9pm 3hr trip each way plus Brissy is where i grew up want to see the house i grew up in plus New Farm where i spent a lot of time i want to do this as have not been Home to Brissy in 15+years even though i live on the Sunsine Coast as i am dealing with Childhood Trauma with my Psycoligist & we are working on my handling life now not going back & reliving it though that does happen just afraid if i do go back that it will all come crashing down after the progress we made

Hope i can at least talk on phone with him before i go as my next appointment with him not till week after i go. I feel that i need to do this trip just to let go!!!

4 REPLIES 4
Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: Fear

Hi @Jamc

It can be a difficult decision whether or not to go back and visit the place where we experienced trauma previously. Everyone has their own way of dealing with such trauma - for some they feel the need to face it again, others they want to leave the past there and forget. It's a very personal decision but a necessary one to make in order to move on and let go. I personally would not as the bad outweighs the good for me; if there are are some good memories there at your childhood home/area, this could help to focus on the good also for balance and healing. Talking this through with your psychologist should help you come to the best decision here. I hope whatever you decide you can draw some healing and peace from it 😊

Jamc
Senior Contributor

Thanks but now that i have posted this i am getting angry & afraid feel like i need to go down & stand in street & just scream 

Former-Member
Not applicable

I hope you are okay @Jamc. It might help to ring someone whom you know or a crisis counselling service such as lifeline to talk about it to release some tension? 

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @Jamc
I was interested to read your post. I wouldn't be able to go back to physical places that remind me of stuff. it would be too much for me completely. But as @Former-Member said we are all so different in finding ways to get better, and so i am always curious to hear about other approaches here. I think it will be a good idea to talk through things with your psychologist about the plans and also how to deal with anything that comes up afterwards and have those extra supports inplace. I often worry myself into the next oblivion over things that i have to do and then find that i cope better than my worst nightmares would have let me believe when i do it... over thinking things can be hard! But not easy to not do, which is why i think having a plan sometimes helps.
Take care, thank you for sharing about this and good luck with what ever you decide.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance