Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Sapphire2
Senior Contributor

Everyone is different

TRIGGER WARNING!!

Hello everyone!

I am not here to judge I am here to inform. I have had a long battle with Anorexia and Bulimia Nervosa. Has anyone after a life threatening addition have had trauma related flash backs?

This is why I am doing DBT or Dialectical Behavioural Therapy. Eating disorders and other additions are life threatening in there own way. If you have problems with addiction talk to SANE or for eating disorders the Butterfly Foundation.

So I look forward to reading your answers and advice.

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Everyone is different

Thank you for your contribution @Sapphire2 it's so important to talk about these things. 

Are you finding DBT helpful? 

Re: Everyone is different

Hey @Sapphire2 

I wanted to talk to you about this, but it was mostly just to say thank you for sharing your lived experience, and to reach out for more information.

I don't personally have a history of body dysmorphic distress, but am ready to listen. It's so important that you mention trauma flashbacks after a history of distress. Having flashbacks during/after healing can be quite scary, and I suppose that's why it's important to remember that recovery isn't linear. I remember a period when I first started working on healing that my flashbacks were quite intense, and I was having panic attacks. Some were so bad they (among other things) I more than once had to pull over while driving on the highway. I was late to work multiple times, and felt too embarrassed to share why at the time.

May I ask how you have found DBT? Are you comfortable with it as a therapeutic practice?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance