Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

BlueBay
Senior Contributor

Eat & Drink Healthy

To help with my mental illness and as a coping skill I am starting to include healthy eating and drinking.

I have started to make fresh home made juices and smoothies.  This morning I made orange, strawberries, green apple and some spinach together with coconut water and ice cubes.  It was really nice and refreshing.  

For my breakfast lately I have been having: handful of oats, almond milk, frozen berries or other fruit, LSA mix, coconut shredded and a banana.  It is so filling and really nice.

I feel that sometimes when I am really depressed I tend to eat junk food and drink lots more coffee than I should.  And now I know that too much coffee isn't good for my anxiety/sleep.

So my challenge this week is to try a different juice every day.

Is anyone else up for the challenge? To try to eat and drink more healthy 🙂 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Eat & Drink Healthy

Hi @BlueBay

Excellent start @BlueBay, this makes such a difference.  I know when I'm down I eat more junky food and then I get upset at myself for eating junky food.  I have slowed this right down and try to eat healthy food all the time and it definitely does make a difference to your mental and physical health especially when you are down.  I need to curb my drinking - not that its much but I drink one glass every night and more on the weekend so need to make atleast 1-2 nights drink free per week.

I'm usually pretty good, breakfast is usally greek yoghurt with blueberries and raspberries, some cereal sprinkled through, nuts and a big teaspoon of natural cacao spread (has sesamee, chia seends, dates for sweetness and all natural oils) plus extra dates chopped.

Ive been taking carrots sticks and cheese to nibble on as well as nuts.  Two things I think have really helped me lately to feel as strong as I do now - one day a week when I dont work I use that day to re-coup (sleep in, lounge around and do what I want) -I find if I dont have that day to sleep my brain doesnt function well (i get very very clumsy) and irritable. Two with all the hype about what foods you should eat and what you shouldnt eat and that I'm going through menopause I tend to not so much watch energy of food now but what fats are in foods, ie if it has the good fats I will have it even if the energy intake is just as high but if it has the bad fats I wont.  I find my weight has stabilised better as its been all over the place with menopause. Saying that sometimes your body just craves bad stuff like sugar or something - if I really have that craving badly I just have it but only a little.

But you are so right @BlueBay healthy body healthy mind!

Smiley Happy

thanks @Change123

I haven't spoken to you for ages.  Hope you are well.

Yes i am starting to see - healthy body healthy mind 🙂 

@BlueBay

Yes I still have my ups and downs but going pretty well so far.  Seem to be controlling my rage, not taking things as personally at home or work and if I do I try to work through it and be very "mindful" of what I'm feeling and why.  My partner again said on the weekend that he cant believe how well I'm doing and that I seem very "balanced" , funny he said that when I thought he was shitty with me and was in the middle of "talking to myself" about whether I took something personally or not (obviously I did).  I'm curbing the urge to ask him constantly "are you shitty with me" as everytime he is quiet I would ask what I have done etc. and that use to piss him off understandably. I'm also realising I dont have to "win" the argument in order to be heard - so I dont just argue back for the sake of it anymore.  Of course he has changed his strategies as well which has helped a lot. I think I'm just a lot more disciplined now and I dont use in my vocabulary anymore "I might be able to do this or that" its more sure I can do this. Like I said today I'm feeling good but I dont kid my self that I know maybe tomorrow I wont but that doesnt mean I'm going to stress over it, tomorrow will be what it will be and I will handle it when it comes.

I hope you are well you sound like you are making progress and should be very proud of yourself!

Smiley Happy

Former-Member
Not applicable

hows the new lifestyle (eating healthy etc) going? ae you sticking with it @BlueBay

and hello @Change123

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance