Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Former-Member
Not applicable

Daily Planning

Good morning All,

there was an article on "The Mighty" about planners. I like it very much that there are planners, that made you think in the morning and were more than just tasks, so I got myself (spoilt myself) to a Panda planner. It'll be a couple of weeks before I get it, so I am printing the page shown in the article to get started, sneaky 🙂 

I am tired of using "professional tools" like my phone calendar, I replaced it with a colourful calendar that I decorated with stickers. The new planner has a morning review with gratefulness, "I'm excited about", affirmations, focus and exercise. Then a section for today's priorities and schedule / tasks / notes. And to end the day there is a end of day review.

I really do want my life to work out, I know we all do, and I am really trying to shake things up to make a life with mental illness possible and positive.

25 REPLIES 25

Re: Daily Planning

That is great to hear @Former-Member it sounds like you are taking some helpful steps to your goals and ways of focusing on some positive things that are happening for you. Those planners look lovely, I would like to get myself one of those some day 🙂

I like the idea of writing down things that you are excited about, I personally enjoy having things to look forward too, do you have some positive affirmations you would like to share or ones that you find helpful?

Lunar

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @Lunar

Thank you for your message. I think all my life I was clinging to affirmations. Coming from a mixed religious background (Catholic, Muslim, Atheist) I made a decision in my mid teens not to follow a religion or pray, although I'm not an atheist, and I think affirmations became my non religious prayers. "Don't you quit" was a poem I knew inside out. All my quotes were about keeping on going and reaching goals. That changed when I first became physically ill and then mentally ill. I have lost focus, motivation and drive. I've lost confidence and my place in this world. I often doubt nowadays that I ever had a space in this world, I just adapted to be socially acceptable.

My current affirmation is: "sometimes our lives have to be completely shaken up, changed and rearranged to relocate us to place where we're meant to be". I think this gives me a little hope that the confusion and chaos in my head will eventually become something good.

My affirmations change often, as my state of mind changes often. I do not take things for granted anymore. I do not set the bar high, as i have disappointed myself too many times. I never thought my life could change so much, i could change so much that I am barely recognisable. I cannot even say that I hate my life, I hate myself, I'm just trying to keep going and hoping that the big picture will return. I am trying to contribute on this forum, as I hope others will keep going, try new things. I just wanna try.
Former-Member
Not applicable

Good morning all & @Lunar

I got my planner and today is Day 2 of using it. It is pretty overwhelming and I planned way too much for yesterday - but I guess that's the sense of writing it down - there is a end of day review and how I can improve. My biggest lesson yesterday, and I only figured that out today, was that I actually planned activities after a medical appointment. I wasn't able to do anything after the appointment. 

I find the hardest part is the daily section "what am I excited about". Nothing. Have to make things up for that one. I guess going to sleep at night is not really what should be written in there? And I am trying to stop napping during the day, so I cannot be excited about that. So today I wrote that I will walk through the garden and have a look at all the flowers that have come up now that it's spring. I am not excited about it, I don't really look forward to walking around the garden in the wind, but I know I do like looking at flowers. So it's more a task, but a task I will enjoy. I left a lot of blanks today and will see if that works out better for me. Baby steps.

Former-Member
Not applicable

Good morning

I am actually dreading to go to my planner and plan my day. Life is so unpredictable. And I can spend hours in my cocoon of numbness so the day just passes and I go whoops, what happened!?

But it also makes me think. I'm lying in bed thinking about what I'm grateful for this morning and what I enjoyed yesterday. When were the moments I popped my head out of the numbness? Even for a brief moment.

Good morning @Former-Member 🙂

I have just noticed your Panda planner and had a look online at them. They're so cool! Do you have one you can colour in?

I too struggle with life being unpredictable. The things that pop up can really impact my ability to complete whatever I had planned. Sometimes something will come along that can leave me feeling similar to what you said about being "in a cocoon of numbness" for days. 

I really like the idea of finding something, anything, to be grateful for or appreciate, even if it just a fleeting feeling or moment. I often visit The Highlight of Your Day thread and enjoy reading of other's "moments" (big and small). I would love to read yours too if you'd like to share.

Listening to the birds this morning has been my moment. Even if the rest of the day turns upside down, I will still have that.

Wishing you the best for the day ahead 🙂

Former-Member
Not applicable

Good morning @CheerBear

there is no colouring in part, but I am sure you could dedicate the Notes section for colouring in, it's small, about the size of a post it. My highlight yesterday was that I cleaned the pool of all the leaves from all the wind we had, without anyone prompting me. I just happened to notice and did it. So I was proud of that.

I am wondering if I just fill in 1 or two prioties and tasks and then add if I do anything else.

Have a nice day.

Morning @Former-Member, a good topic for the thread and the planner sounds interesting. I dont have a planner. I have a piece of paper with a morning routine that lasts 2 hours. I read somewhere that a routine will help me reach a goal. I have 3 journals. A diary to plan my week. Lots of paper with thoughts on it perhaps I need another journal lol I bought a stapler

Feeling proud of yourself is one of the best highlights I think @Former-Member 😊

Hope you find some more moments today that feel good.

Hi @Neelix - nice to 'meet' you. Hope your day is good also 😊

Morning @CheerBear cheers for the greeting. It must be nice to hear the birds. Its 6am here I've not heard birds yet. I have been noticing trees tho when I walk. I did lie in bed last night and felt relief and my mind relaxed and I slept. Is that a moment? sounds corney I know but 'relief' is rare for me. Hope your day is well too 🙂
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance