Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Former-Member
Not applicable

Antipsychotics......

Hi guys just wondering what peoples experiences on the use of antipsychotic medications.
Ive recently gone on them and have been warned about weight gain. Ive just lost 10kg but my body gains weight really fast if im not careful. And very low motivation at the moment so just wondering what your experience are?

Did it increase your appetite at all?
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Antipsychotics......

Hey @Former-Member and all forumites

just a quick butt in from me to keep us on track as i am not sure if people are reluctant to reply based on our community guidelines (click here) about not talkng about specific medications? its fine to discuss medications in general like antipsychotics as you have lil-caterpillar just not specifics and just not medical advice as we are not medically trained 

but please feel welcome to discuss experiences (eg below if it effected peoples appetite) and health tips

Former-Member
Not applicable

thanks @Fancy_Pants

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hey @Former-Member (did you notice fancy_pants' display pic by the way? super worth you reading!)

I only have experience taking non-standard doses of antipsychotics for sedation (I hope this is still within forum guidelines - sorry if not, I'm trying to be careful!). No increase in appetite with them but not sure if it's because they were prescribed perhaps for use in a different way than usual (if there is a usual way, but hopefully you know what I mean). In saying that, the AD I am on is apparently notorious for weight gain, increased appetite etc and is currently having no effect of that kind on me, if anything it is decreasing them.

I guess that shows how individuals respond differently to meds of all kinds. 

Former-Member
Not applicable

its strnge @Former-Member yesterday i had like execssive appetite and today i have none at all, so was jsut wondering what others expereicnes were with this sort of med...

Hello @Former-Member, @Former-Member, @Fancy_Pants

my husband who has MI is on antipsychotics which he  has put on weight

he is also on anti depressants too

Former-Member
Not applicable

Argghhhh i hope not. Geez!
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance