Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

BlueBay
Senior Contributor

Mental health and exercise

Does anyone exercise while having a mental illness?  I suffer from borderline personality disorder, depression, anxiety and PTSD.  I struggle to go out and exercise or even go out for a walk.  I fear of failure, fear of being judged, fear of not being able to complete my exercise plans.

12 REPLIES 12
Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: Mental health and exercise

How I wish I could @BlueBay

I used to be able to go cycling, walking, even to classes and stuff, but some years ago my PTSD was retriggered leaving me often unable to even leave the house.

Only a few hours ago I started thinking about whether or not I could find a Tai Chi session nearby where I could go again. If only I could put on a suit that made me able to participate anonymously. 

This year I intend to really pursue more body movement, I just have not worked out what nor how yet. Tai Chi was something I really enjoyed doing, there was no judgement and no gossipy cliques, but the instructor left town. *sigh*

I hope you manage to find something you can do and enjoy. 

@BlueBay I have depression and I train regulary 2 to 4 times a week but sometimes I struggle to get out the door. I do feel better after I have done something 

Hey @BlueBay, I live with schizoaffective disorder and sometimes (I really need to do it more often) lap swim at the local pool. Considering medications have had a large impact on my weight, I really need to do more exercise as I struggle with exercise out of the pool due to obesity. 

Former-Member
Not applicable

hi @BlueBay - i have ptsd and i do try and exercise but often its just been a walk lately and i've struggled to have the energy (plus itsbeen very hot). I was running a lot towards the end of last year but then i fell into a hole and havent been able to get back into that... i go up and down with exercise (like my mood i guess)... i think it does help though... I never make too many plans for it though or i would feel like a failure. i just try to get out when i can and then its a bonus when i do... but i know for other people a solid routine is probably motivating too... we're all different.
take care
Former-Member
Not applicable

@BlueBay i use to strech and exercise each day normally a walk for an hour or two it did help at the time i did it in the morning and it helped me to get started for the day. I found walking helped clear my head sometimes sometimes not but i know i also had a better sleep routine as well once exercising as well. Somedays its harder than other to leave the house. I havnt been ontop of it recently but i took a dog that lives on my street for a walk the other evening and i found it nice. I understand the fear of faliure around meeting your exercise goals, when i first started i started so small to 10mins a day and slowly increased. I get into the struggle now with myself about going because i know it will most likely help and what feels like being frozen and cant move. I hope you manage to find something that works for you some people like the gym to work out i however much rather being in nature for it:)

Well done @Ant7 for getting out there
BB xxoo

Hi @Queenie
I wish I could swim and do laps in the pool. I guess I could use a small kick board. Swimming is also good for asthmatics which I have I should look into going to a pool but I would have to go when it's not busy fir fear of being looked at.
Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @Former-Member

I also use to do Tai Chi and enjoyed it immensely for mostly the same reasons you stated - no judgement and negative gossipy cliques  - I found it a very soothing and positive experience. I hope you find another group nearby soon. I like to also walk in nature or along the beach - always relaxes me. If I stay at home I like to dance to music I enjoy for exercise and fun 💃😁

i exercise 5 days a week. Somedays it is so incredibly hard to have the motivation or the energy but i just force myself to do it knowing that if i dont, the medication im on could be increasing my weight. I cant go off my meds so i exercise to make sure i dont put on any weight.

you said about not wanting people to judge you, if you have the internet and can access youtube, there is a great channel called "hasfit". They show fitness routines that you dont need equipment and can do it right at home. I have been doing that for about a year now and the results have been pretty great.. Anyway hopefully you find what works for you.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance