Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Former-Member
Not applicable

Feeling so isolated. Anyone else feeling the same?

Have had to isolate myself from friends and family due to them not understanding what it's been like for me struggling with PTSD, constant anxiety and fatigue. Not only did I loose my father years ago, but I lost my family.
I've tried to reach out for help from friends etc but they're too busy. Poured my heart out about something extremely traumatic and not once have they asked if I'm ok. Finding it too hurtful to try and have friends. Seems I have to put on my pretend happy face for them.
I've had to isolate and hide from everyone, because it's too hurtful trying. The trouble is I really need someone to talk to who understands.

42 REPLIES 42

Re: Feeling so isolated, people say they care, but don't show it.

Hey @Former-Member I can relate to this I was very close to my Parents my brothers and sisters felt jealousy towards me even thou I asked .my parents to help them to which they did, But most of them did not want to know me and were very cruel. Most of my friends either moved away or just got busy with their lives and I lost contact, thinking it was me they didn't like, ten years later found at least one of those friends thought that I didn't like them. Just remember sometimes friends just want to have fun, Until they experience something traumatic or even upsetting. They just won't understand, It is sad because we are supposed to help in a time of need. But just remember there are some great people and we are to listen and help if we can. Maybe you need some time out from your friends and when you are ready you can go back to them. 

Hi Hope77. 😀
I think my answer is to move and start afresh somewhere else. I unfortunately get too stressed at the thought of all the organizing etcetera. Hopefully that will happen some day.
I guess I'm upset that when I really need someone to talk to regarding things I'm going through, they don't seem to care.
I've seen counsellors, psychologists etc, but sometimes it would be nice to have someone to confide in.
I mostly try to be positive and always try to encourage and be there for others.
Sorry for the whinge. 😀

Hey @Former-Member first of all, you are not whining, We all need friends to confide in But sometimes you have to choose very carefully who? I don't make judgements on people nor does anyone on this forums. We are hear to listen and offer advice if we can. we are all here to support each other where we can. Please don't think we don't care we do. I hope you write back. hope you have a peaceful nights sleep.

Sorry. I may have given the wrong impression. From what I have read on this forum I can see that you are all caring and seem really nice. I meant people that have been in my life are too busy to care. It's a long story. Hard to explain in a few words.
Thankyou for caring enough to answer. I'm sure most people on here are caring and understanding. 😊

Hey @Former-Member Don't say sorry sweetheart I just know everyone here and we are here for you when you want to talk. I know a lot of people I know  are too busy to talk I understand. And It's hard but you hang in there I or someone is always on to talk to.  

Hi bridget. I suffered from ptsd due to workplace neglect. It was the scariest thing I've ever experienced. The body's fight or flight went into overdrive and I would literally freeze when triggered. It can be hard for family and friends, because even though theycare - they have never eexperienced it.
What to us may seem highly traumatic and triggering, they see as 'nothing'. They can't feel what ee feel.
I've had some great treatment for my ptsd. Got treatment early with an experienced psychologist.
I still 'suffer' (I hate that word)... I still have depression and anxiety but am getting better. Every day helps.
What helps you when you feel overwhelmed?

Thanks Hope77 for being there. Sorry to hear that your family hasnt treated you well. It's like a grief we have to go through when we distance ourselves from family. Do you feel that you've gone through the grieving stages, Hope77?

And Utopia, sorry to hear you have or have had ptsd as well. Glad you're getting better.
I always carry anti anxiety medication with in case I feel overwhelmed or have a panic attack. At one stage I tried not having any, but had an awful panic attack in traffic, in front of my daughter, so I decided to get some to have with me. I don't want my daughter to see me like that, it worried her. I tried to laugh about it with her, but I'll stick to have the meds occasionally when I have to. 😀
I try deep breathing and changing my thoughts, but it doesn't always work.
Having anxiety fir no reasin us difficult. At present I only go out when I have to. Trying to rest my nervous system. I sometimes over do things and take a while to get back on top. Recently climbed a huge mountain. Was a great feeling to get to the top. Still recovering from that. 😂
Life is to be lived not endured, so I'll keep working on getting well.

How do you 2 cope with life? 💗

Crying is often a good thing hope77. You've obviously been through alot and need to let . It out. Draining, I know. I find that holding tears Iin just causing depression to get worse and causes anger.
I hope you're both ok. Chat soon. 💜

Whoops! A few typing errors.

Unfortunately I didn't get help after being raped as a teenager. So it had taken me a long long time to get over everything. One thing after the other, year after year. Finally I stand up for myself and I don't accept any abuse whatsoever. Good that you both are getting help. 😊

Hi Bridget. My name is Pip. I don't suffer PTSD, but I did suffer mental health issues. Unfortunately, like any other mental health problem, PTSD is a feeling, it can't be seen, therefore people who've never experienced it don't know what to say. If you could get some literature regarding this debilitating illness it may help your friends understand a bit more than trying to put into words what you find hard to describe. Have you seen a Dr for some guidance on explaining PTSD, the causes and after effects. if you could perhaps ask about medication to help control or ease the persistent anxiety/fatigue, this could also help.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance