Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Red_Rose
New Contributor

Schizoaffective disorder, major depressive disorder, OCD, social phobia, PTSD x2, suicidal ideation

Hi there,

I'm new to the forum. I didn't know anything like this existed.

I was diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder, major depressive disorder, OCD, social phobia, at around age 19 after an acute bout of psychosis. Although I know I have been depressed since my teens, and definitely recognise the OCD and social phobia, it has taken me years to acknowledge the "schizophrenia" part of my "schizoaffective disorder" diagnosis. I suppose that makes sense considering that while I've been in active psychosis I'm not aware that I am. On reflection I can see things differently. But I think I was also being stubborn about it and feeling like refusing to accept it as part of my diagnosis meant that it wasn't real. Anyway, I've come to terms with it now and I'm trying to learn more about myself and others like me. I've also been diagnosed with two separate cases of PTSD, one related to severe workplace bullying and one related to various sexual traumas that took place over my lifetime.

I have been medicated since I was 19 and I was a very late bloomer so I feel I have no idea what it feels like to be an adult without medication or mental illness. My medications have been adjusted over the years but I've always needed anti depressants. In really good times, I've only needed a small dose of anti psychotic, but it's always been there. I may have had a few months here and there without antipsychotic but it's otherwise always been there in varied doses. Normally I am taking a number of different medications at once.

Life has been a struggle since my first psychotic illness at 18 or 19. Before that, despite my depression, I was a very high achiever and had great hopes and plans for my future. I had to drop out of my university degree when I got sick with the psychotic illness. I later completed a different degree but it led nowhere and I have worked in entry level jobs since, until I stopped working 2 years ago. Apart from 1 year off sick (PTSD) a while back.

Anyway, I suppose I'm keen to read about other people's experiences. 

And I want to learn more about myself and I want to be the best version of myself. 

I am lucky I have had a supportive family because without my parents I am certain I would not be here anymore. I also developed alcoholism in my early 20s as a form of self medication and have been in rehab a number of times for that. I have been a risk taker all my life since childhood and seem to put myself into dangerous situations. 

I feel privileged that my parents have helped me but I know that many people have not had that luxury. 

I appreciate the amazing diversity of humans and I know that we all have our struggles. Anyway, enough rambling. Best wishes to all.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Schizoaffective disorder, major depressive disorder, OCD, social phobia, PTSD x2, suicidal ideation

@Red_Rose  Welcome to the forums.

You have had quite a journey so far. You sound like you are managing the storms, with the help of your wonderful parents ok enough.

There are others on the forums with schizoaffective disorder, so I will leave it to them to respond with their experiences. I have other ‘ labels ‘. But just wanted to welcome you.

A forum tip. The @brings a dropdown, that is out tagging system. You are welcome to join other threads if you like.

Re: Schizoaffective disorder, major depressive disorder, OCD, social phobia, PTSD x2, suicidal ideation

Hi and welcome, @Red_Rose ! I see you have a lovely welcome by @Maggie , and I also wanted to welcome you too. 

It's obvious you have a lot on your plate with those illnesses, plus the 2 cases of PTSD and the alcoholism to battle as well. 

@Red_Rose wrote:

Life has been a struggle since my first psychotic illness at 18 or 19. Before that, despite my depression, I was a very high achiever and had great hopes and plans for my future. 

I am lucky I have had a supportive family because without my parents I am certain I would not be here anymore. 

Unfortunately, it often seems to be the case that our life hopes and plans have to be discontinued or totally reformulated once mental illness strikes us. I'm really glad to hear that you have a supportive family.

I hope you enjoy exploring the forums, and find support and people who understand what you're going through. 🙂

Thank you both @NatureLover @Maggie for your thoughtful replies and for making me feel welcome. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance