Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Any diagnosed germophobes or hoarders on this forum?

OMG @Dimity ...I've found quite a few cruelty-free soap bars but some are up to $14.95 - for one bar!!! I use a lot of soap as I wash my hands a hundred times a day...how do they think people can afford that?!

I did order 2 new soap bars (2 of each) and they were $3.29 and $4.29 respectively, which is still expensive I thought. We will see.

Hope you're having a good day...

Even more shock - some cruelty-free soap bars are $19.95 per bar, or $23, or $26.95, or in one case $28!!! 😮  @Dimity 

Yes very expensive @NatureLover. Chemist Warehouse do a discount. See how you go but I worry for your poor raw hands. Maybe using the specialty one for a short time would help them heal... qv is for dermatitis icthyosis and eczema. 

I'm pressing on. Yesterday I looked at a shoebox of craft supplies. It's more about trying to do something every day again, garden too.  

Yes, I checked out QV and I see they have a special on a twin pack of soap at Chemist Warehouse...I think I will get that @Dimity . Thanks!

@Dimity wrote:

I'm pressing on. Yesterday I looked at a shoebox of craft supplies. It's more about trying to do something every day again, garden too.  

Well done..I do admire how you make sure you make a daily habit of decluttering. 

I had a productive day yesterday with decluttering and laundry, including unpacking a hanging shoe organiser, hanging it up and filling it with shoes. But I couldn't face the priority area - the kitchen! Am going to try again today. I'm making a concerted effort to stay home, not go out in avoidance of the house mess, and not do any shopping. Quite apart from stuff piling up at home, I need to stop spending!

Hoping you have a good day today, and also that you hear back soon from the helper agency 💚

Hi @NatureLover well done on your productive day. You'll get to your kitchen I'm sure so don't stress.

I think the admin's all in place now for my new helper to start Tuesday. But I'm not sure if she'll be able to help with the stuff off-site which is my biggest worry. 

I no longer buy much. But I feel a bit shabby sometimes. It doesn't really matter as I hardly go out. I've been giving away expensive books and stationery, and I've just sorted some unopened craft kits to go to the opshop. One new thing I might buy is a record player as I don't want to give away my records.

Looks like a cold wet day coming up tomorrow. Hope you'll be OK  

So pleased your helper can start on Tuesday! 🙂 @Dimity  Do you think she may not be able to bring stuff from off-site to your house with you?

I did a little bit of the kitchen bench yesterday but not as much as I was hoping. Mostly disinfecting stuff, which takes a while. 

@Dimity wrote:

I've been giving away expensive books and stationery, and I've just sorted some unopened craft kits to go to the opshop

Well done. I do this too, when I could be making money from them...but I haven't had any luck selling items online. It's quicker and easier to list them on the local Buy Nothing site or put them in the Opp Shop box I have permanently set up in my lounge-room. My psychologist doesn't like me having it there...but I've promised her that once it's full, I'll take it straight away to the Opp Shop. (And make another!)

It's good you're in the habit of not spending much. You do have such healthy habits...eating healthily, decluttering every day, not spending much. 

@Dimity wrote:

Looks like a cold wet day coming up tomorrow. Hope you'll be OK  

Thanks ❤️ Yes, with damaging winds...the power going out is always a worry on days like these. I did risk 20 minutes of my therapy light box yesterday morning...it doesn't seem to have made me more itchy...but am not risking it every day yet. Spoke to my psychiatrist yesterday by Telehealth appt, and he prioritised my skin over my depression, which is not the way I see it...however you can barely get a word in edgewise with him, so I let it go. I put cream on my hands overnight with cotton gloves. 

But yesterday we had some unexpected sunshine - wasn't it nice! Were you out doing some gardening? It was pretty cold outside but the sun made a difference to my mood. 

Hope you have good success with whichever box you decide to tackle today 💚

Weĺ done @NatureLover re the kitchen. It can't be easy disinfecting everything you bring into the house, and perhaps more duress for your hands.

Today I just did general tidying. Over the weekend I'll try to get more done to be ready for my helper. I've finally planted my hyacinths which is good.

It must be frustrating to know how much the lightbox helps but be unable to use it as much as you'd like. It might take a week or two to see if your hands are improving. I certainly hope they do.

Thanks... I used to wash my hands in pure disinfectant @Dimity , can you imagine! But I started a new soap trial this week, and my hands are already a bit less itchy I think. I've got quite a few new soaps to trial. I'm spending 2 weeks on each trial. I did use the light box for 20 minutes on Weds morning - I carefully set an alarm! 

@Dimity wrote:

Today I just did general tidying. Over the weekend I'll try to get more done to be ready for my helper. I've finally planted my hyacinths which is good.

General tidying is good. What do you need to do to get ready for your helper on Tues? 

Yesterday I had a professional makeup lesson - and oh gosh, the lady made me look 20 years younger! 😮 (I'm 51.) Amazing. I got some of the makeup so I can try to recreate it. I have a fundraiser black tie event next month, which prompted this. The only black tie event of my lifetime, I presume. This event is also good motivation to stop scratching temporarily (my Excoriation Disorder that I've had since I was a baby growing up in an abusive family). 

Good luck this weekend with your declutrtering and preparation for Tues. I need to tackle the kitchen again. 

Wow @NatureLover the black tie event will be something to look forward to. Have you decided what to wear?

I'm sorry to hear about your excoriation disorder. Quite a few of my family have had troublesome skin problems ascribed to food and chemical intolerances. I'm glad you're trialling new soaps, that sounds like a step in the right direction.  At one stage I was using a prescription ointment that gave relief from contact dermatitis. It soothed and counteracted the inflammation. Unfortunately I've not come across a salve for childhood trauma and abuse. I wish.

I've been sorting some stuff to go to the opshop Tuesday. I really need to straighten the livingroom too. And I need to do some paperwork. 

The reading lamp I tried to fix isn't really bright enough for my bad eyesight, and seems to have a faulty switch or broken connection - it goes out if I bump it. So maybe it didn't need that expensive new globe. 

Good luck with your kitchen tomorrow. 

Hi @Dimity  - it's cold this morning!

@Dimity wrote:

I've been sorting some stuff to go to the opshop Tuesday. I really need to straighten the livingroom too. And I need to do some paperwork. 

Ah, I see what you mean about preparing for your helper...well done. 

I had to google 'contact dermatitis' - and the picture shows what I sometimes have! I think from frequent hand washing, as it's usually only on my hands. What was your allergen / contact substance? (No need to reply to that if you don't want to) Has your contact dermatitis resolved now? 

My Excoriation Disorder is different - there's no allergen except childhood abuse for that one. You're right - no salve either. 

I ordered my dress for the black tie event online, and it fits. It has delicate sequins hanging off it so I didn't wash it as I normally would a new item of clothing. It arrived all packed up in a plastic packet, undisturbed, so looked like it came straight from the manufacturer, luckily. 

Sorry to hear about your light globe / lamp. What will you do? 

Good luck today 🙂

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance