Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: A Life of Trauma and Tragedy (Possibly Triggering Content)

@Emelia8 💙🧡💛

Beautiful Tulip @Emelia8 

Heart

How to find a way to honour our stories without letting them box us in and define us in limiting ways.  DO what is best for you.

Smiley Happy

Good to see you back on Sane @Emelia8 

What an extremely powerful story, thankyou for sharing that with us.

Take care sweetheart 💜💛

You will have no idea how much I needed the brief moment of joy this morning that your return brought to me my friend. Thank you for finding your way back to us. When Kimmy comes back she is going to be so happy as she has missed "her" friend so very much. Sending you huge love and gentle hugs. @Emelia8 

@Appleblossom  You are right of course, farms can be very dangerous places.  And I grew up on a farm, and spent all my growing up years on one, before moving into a small country town when I was in my latter high school years.  I'm sorry that you too have known much trauma and loss.  It definitely can be a numbing experience.  I have blocked much of it from my mind for a good part of my life I think.  But it all comes spilling out again whenever new things happen. And then you get the double or triple or quadruple whammy.  Avoiding connection is a self preservation thing I guess, because most connections I've had in the past have essentially been lost through death. So to avoid connection is to avoid the pain of loss.  But human beings need connection I think, and I am a lesser human for lacking it.  The forums have helped me in the past to develop connections, and I hope they can again.  Because I need that.  How to honour our stories of loss and survival?  I dont know really.  Its hard in so many respects. Each of those I have lost, deserve to be honoured, and perhaps I do too.  Yes it is a lovely tulip isnt it.  Thank you for responding.

@Zoe7  Thank you for taking the time to respond. Your words:  "you have more hope, more strength and more courage than you even know is possible".  It very much seems you are talking about someone else ... certainly not me.  I've given up hope of ever being 'normal' or happy. I often dont feel I have the strength to survive another day. And rather than courage, I feel it is more likely fear that causes the adrenaline to get me through. That isnt healthy.  Sometimes I value a new day, though I'm not always thankful for still living in it. Yes I've survived ... but is survival enough?  Is a rare and fleeting precious moment worth the pain and distress suffered in between?  This is something I often toss around in my own head, tormenting myself until I send myself nuts.  How do you do it Zoe?  You have been through so much.  Is life worth living for you?

@NatureLover   Yes thats very true, prolonged periods of trauma and numerous tragic losses / occurrences definitely take a toll on people. They say that what doesnt break you, makes you stronger.  But I'm not so sure.  I think there comes a time when it all becomes too much, and it just gets too hard to keep fronting up for more.  The gentle hug you left for me and the willing listening ears you readily offer, are very much appreciated.  I suppose we all find a way .. somehow, sometime.  Life is hard for so many, and I know I'm not alone in that.  But trauma can turn you into yourself, causing you to internalise things too much.  Does that make sense?  Along with the other traumas and losses I have suffered, I have also endured persistent DV and emotional abuse within my marriage. And that adds to the difficulties somewhat.  Anyway ... I'm internalising things on paper now, and I dont think you or anyone else wants to hear any of that. I really do hope that healing, even in a small way, is possible. So I will finish by saying that I really appreciate your quiet and caring support. 

@greenpea  My dear Pea.  I was so sorry to read about the health issues you had recently.  And that it has caused you to postpone your university studies.  How disappointing for you.  But little choice under the circumstances I suppose.  Lets hope you get some answers soon as to what caused those blackout moments, and that you can move on with solutions.  Then back to uni asap.  Thanks for the welcome back.  Its lovely to see you again. Please take care, and remember to tag me when you have any news to convey about your medical tests etc. Take care.

@Shaz51   Thank you dear Shaz, its a relief to be back.  Tough going for a while there, but things eventually calmed down around here and I sought to return with the CMs assistance.  Yes a new thread was appropriate I thought.  Much of the stuff I have divulged here, I never told anyone before.  People close to me know bits and pieces, but nobody knows it all.  Its a little strange, while I was offline for the 6 weeks or so, a lot of this stuff just kept rattling around in my head.  It wouldnt leave me alone.  Another reason I opened a new thread, is because I am reluctant to return to my old thread.  Fearing that a link may be made which would associate me with my old identity, and thus compromise my anonymity once more.  So sadly, my little doggy profile pic is no more.  Do you like my new colourful dolphin pic?

@Snowie   Thank you Snowie, you are very kind.  I was sorry to read that you have needed to return to hospital to undergo further ECT.  Lets hope this time it works for you.  Please you too take care.

@Former-Member   Awwww ... how sweet. Yes I managed to eventually find a way back, with the help of the CMs here. Its been a very difficult time for me while away. I have to say that I'm really glad my return provided a brief moment of joy to you earlier today when you needed it most.  I had read your worry room post and was concerned.  I read on your thread later, the reasons why.  I had wondered if it had anything to do with your visit to your Dad, and it looks like it was. That aside, I'm very happy for you that you enjoyed your visit and that it all seemed very relaxed and normal.  Almost as though there was no long break since you last saw each other.  Perhaps now, you can look forward to your next visit.  And no more thoughts of leaving us. Please tell Kimmy that I am really looking forward to chatting with her next time she's around.  I have thought of my little friend Kimmy, courageous Nikki and dear Izzy a lot in my absence.  I have also read your regular posts where you gave me a mention.  Thank you, it was lovely to know I was not forgotten, and was perhaps even missed just a little. Big love to each of you too, and a gentle hug.

@Maggie @BlueBay @outlander  Thank you for your welcoming posts as well.  

Emelia  🌸

@Emelia8  

I am also not so sure that "what doesn't break you, makes your stronger". Yes, it makes sense that trauma can cause you to internalise things. I'm so sorry about the constant emotional and physical abuse in your marriage. 😞 I am so glad you found your way back here!

P.S. Having read your concerns about anonymity, I am just going to pop back to your old thread and edit my last 2 posts.

Sending you my Heartfelt care @Emelia8   I hadn't read this yet and greeted you as someone new elsewhere!  I really hope things go smoothly for you re-engaging with the forums.  I too have had a life of repeated traumas and also experienced DV and other assaults and abusive relationships with dysfunctional others.  Made lots of terrible choices and risky behaviours that resulted in events that have left me with chronic and complex PTSD on top of bipolar 1 that impact on each other.  So I totally agree that at times too many traumatic events result in breaking us for the long term.  I very much wish for both of us to find a way forward to thrive, not merely survive.  That we can regain our sense of self-esteem and worth in the world.

Lots and lots of love coming your way and wonderful to see the support you are receiving here.  I hope that confirms your feeling of being a valued presence here.  xoxo

@NatureLover, the edit on my old thread would be much appreciated, and will help to alleviate some of my anxiety around linking the two usernames, past and present. Thank you for your understanding, and yes I'm very happy to be back again too.

@ethThanks so much for your welcome, and your insight into the effects of repeated trauma throughout our lives. I am aware of your history of course, as well as your diagnosis. I have always valued your input and wisdom. Sending some love back to you also. I am very relieved to have been accepted back here, but I am taking things slowly for now. The support so far has been great, for which I'm very thankful. Its a little hard coming back in after 6 weeks away though. Things move very quickly, and its hard to keep up with whats been happening for everyone. I am slowly getting to read some more threads though, and getting my subscriptions done. Thank you for your encouraging words.

Emelia 🌸

Do you like my new colourful dolpin pic?--- I do my awesomw sister @Emelia8 HeartHeart

Hey lovely, thanks for replying o Kimmy's message it really put a smile on her face. We are not reconnected yet as that can take a while but boy do I know she is back. You silent support makes such a difference honey and it's great and uplifting to have it again. As Kimmy always has something to say I am sure she will chat with you soon. 💜Nikki

💖🦁 @Emelia8 🦁💖

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance