Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recovery Club

MDT
Community Guide

Saying goodbye to pop

Today was hard. Pop is weak. And thin. 

He will be leaving us. 

We just dunno when. 

My hearts breaks and aches.

For him and for nan 

I just don't want him to suffer

The thought if him being in that place on his when he'd rather be next to nan in bed asleep and she wants that too.... it's so hard 

Maybe this is my small burden to carry while nan carries hers and Pop his. 

I felt like a kid again today. All I wanted to do was share the vanilla slide with my pop. But we couldn't. 

Whatever part of me was hurt by that is a part of me that came out today. But what can I do. Nothing much. It isn't fair. I know that but I feel it and feeling it is different.

It will be hard. 

But the love is what gets us by.

33 REPLIES 33

Re: Saying goodbye to pop

aww Hams ..growing up aint all beer and skittles .. has crap bits too @MDT 

thanks for the tag. you know it's coming . you can reflect. You are still here to carry on. I think I prided myself on not showing emotions. I said goodbye to mum on phone fromWA , she could not speak, they said she smiled. I cried. 

I'm so sorry @MDT , this must be a very difficult period for you. Good on you for coming to the forums to discuss it, I'm sure many can relate.

Hey @MDT.

I am so sorry that you are going through this hard time. It was only last year that I was there with my nan. It so hard. 

I just want to touch on the vanilla slice. If it’s something you and your pop shared then have it for him. Continue to have it for him. 

My pop and I shared a Mars bar thing. Long story but I put a mars bar in his coffin and to this day I always have that mars bar for his birthday and the anniversary of his death. 21yrs later it’s still my connection. 

@MDT grieving and letting go is so hard. It won't be easy for him or you. I know you loved your Pop ❤️ Thats a beautiful thing! I know you are in emotional pain seeing him go. I have had to say goodbye to countless people so I understand. The love he has for you now is immense. He has that within his shining heart for you now. I will include you in my daily prayers MDT. I hope you can find ways of coping and getting by. Sending you my love and compassion at this time. I know your heart is breaking. You were loved by this wonderful grandfather of yours. Its not the final farewell.

@MDT  I always take comfort in the fact that I within me is the cellular memory and genetic coding of those that came before me.

My parents and grandparents can never really leave me. They are in fact, me.

Best advice?

Favourite quote?

Happiest memory?

Smells? - My mom Geraldine’s Lemon Meringue Pie 🥧 

Hugs G

Soo sorry @MDT ❤️

Sending you lots of hugs and sitting with you 

I have lots of memories my grandparents 

Had tears in my eyes thinking of my mum who has just passed away 💔 as I was reading your message 

@Glisten I love that, how our parents/grandparents are a part of us.

@MDT my heart breaks for you. I loved my grandparents dearly, especially my maternal ones. May you find peace and comfort during this difficult time ❤️🙏

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance