Skip to main content

Re: Welcome to the Friends, Family and Carers Forum! Introduce yourself here 🙂

HI I am  a grandmother raising my 9 year old grandson and caring for my son of 46 who has been involved in methamphetamines for many years, trying to stop. Recently he was involved in a lock in Mental Health ward after crisis situation with dust mites and weeks of not sleeping, seeing them everywhere. Has anyone else had this situation? 

I am now learning what it means that he is under a Mental health Order and has depot injections regularly. Will these stop him using Meths as he says it blocks dopamine transmitters Any info would be helpful. Thanks! 

Hi there @Mother1 ,

I'm sorry to hear about how difficult things are for you right now. I can hear how confusing it is.

When you mentioned dust mites, do you mean while coming off drugs, he was seeing dust mites everywhere (which weren't really there)?

My brother in law had years and years of heavy drug use. While coming off the drugs, he was often in a state of psychosis and saw things that were not really there. He would also hear things all the time and this troubled him a lot. To help, he has been prescribed anti-psychotics. However, because he is able to take them, he doesn't need depot injections. 

My brother in law is much better now. He will need medication for life, but it's better than being on illicit drugs.

And of course, there are side effects of taking meds, however, they have a choice between medication or illicit drugs. My brother in law has three young children. He can't afford to be unwell for them.

I hope I'm making a bit of sense.

Thank you. You are making sense. Re
was he coming off drugs and seeing things, Its confusing re the dustmites. He said he could see them and was in a panic for 38 days cleaning his unit and not sleeping well, outside on the entranceway. He is angry at me still for suggesting to him that maybe he was influenced by the meths. Though he is on anti psychotic medication depot shots he still doesn't seem to accept that maybe his psychosis was from the drugs.. He thinks it was simply a crisis he survived. That the dust mites were the problem and he's the victim of them. Even the clincal team manager says we dont know about the dust mites if they were real or not, but he was very paranoid in the mental health unit. So now yes, thank you its good to know about your brother in law having to make a choice between medication or illicit drugs. That they cant take both it seems. So there is hope that this depot shot will help my son deal with his addiction. They are just trying to get the dose right. Trial and error it seems, as they say in the beginning he will be very tired, and he sleeps most mornings,but hopefully will gradually get used to it and maybe will be able to have a life in time... thanks again for replying to me.

Hello, I'm new to the site.  I care for my 22year old daughter who has anxiety depression and ptsd. I'm interested if anyone has experience with intranasal k*** [edited by moderator]. Thanks

Hey @Jules62 ,

Welcome to the forums. 

I'm sorry to hear your daughter anxiety, depression and ptsd. It must be challenging at times. 

I just wanted to let you know that while members can share their experiences, they won't be able to name specific medications (as part of our Community Guidelines - SAFETY ). 

You are more than welcome give the general name of medications such as anti-depressants, anti-psychotic or pain-killer.

I also hope that these forums will provide some emotional support for you at this time.

Kindest, tyme

Thank you

Is your daughter linked in with any supports? @Jules62 

Yes, psychologist,  OT and has just been just approved for NDIS. It is a challenge to get her to initiate independence due to her anxiety. I have tried so many times to be independent but she relies on me too much

Does she have a support worker who can spent time with you too @Jules62 . I recognise that it is a lot on you as a sole carer, especially as NDIS is about supporting her independence. 

Does she utilise services such as KidsHelpline 1800 55 1800 (up to 25 year olds)?

It sounds like you are doing what you can. Please look after yourself in the meantime.

Hello to all,

My 22 y.o son was diagnosed bipolar a couple of years ago.  Was a steep learning curve navigating the Mental Health support landscape and just the whole thing... I found this forum as I'm feeling completely useless as to how to help him find full time work.  (he works part time in fast food service atm). He's been doing ok this year - finished a cert IV at TAFE and got his drivers licence but now he's at an impasse and is struggling again to move in any direction.  So I see there's already a few questions about emplyment etc so I'll look at those threads but just wanted to say Hello here too.