Skip to main content

Re: Topic Tuesday // Stigma// Tues 14 May, 7pm AEST

Totally agree @Fracturedlight 

@Former-Member  I don't know how anyone can answer to the question I have. I fall in a demographic of those with MI that puts me in a "high risk" group when I am assessed for services. How am I supposed to not feel stigmatised by this? Why should the rest of society not treat me as a risk when mental health professionals do? 

@Teej yes!!! The public hospital ED is so bad for it. I was in hospital 2 weeks ago. I felt so ashamed, unsupported and alone. Then you just get released and moved on. It's devastating impact at that moment.

@Adge  I hear you. I'm so sorry your Doctors assumed what was wrong with you. What you desrcibed is probably a common occurence with Drs. This is not a reflection of you but them. That makes me angry that you were treated this way and not given the support and help you deserved.                                 

I also wanted to make a point about the stigma attached to various kinds of medication

My last event was last week when a different pharmacist asked me questions in public (at the pharmacy) - did I understand the implications of the medication I am taking?

Is this fair? He would only have to click his computer a couple of times to get the picture which includes Government Authorities and Permits.

I doubt anyone really likes taking powerful medications - the condition itself causes loss of mobility - loss of drivers' licences, loss of employment, loss of indpendence - then there is the cost, the varying ideas within the medical profession, the changes of life-style and the last

What about our quality of life?

I find the questions intrusive - 

Dec

Hi Teej.

It can be very frightening when you're in crisis and you end up in emergency. Most staff at hospitals are wonderful and compassionate, however some do not have the level of education or experience needed to deal with certain cases.

We are looking to government to help us improve the treatment of those presenting to emergency rooms experiecing a mental health crisis. We want those living with mental illness to have more positive outcomes in emergency situations.

Hey everyone @Teej @Fracturedlight @Adge @Owlunar @Zoe7 @Jonty8 @BlueBay @Former-Member and anyone else following along. As it's now 8pm we must say goodbye and a HUGE THANK YOU to @Former-Member for being part of the first half of this discussion tonight. It’s so great ot know about this service and I think all of us here will be better informed of how we can approach stigma in the media now. As we continue on now all, I will lead us through some discussion points around stigma more broadly! 

Now that we have shared some of the situtaions we have been facing or have faced with stigma, can we chat about what it means? Stigma can be a bit confusing when looking at what it means or is defined as. I’d love to know how would you define Stigma with your experiences in mind?

Welcome @oceangirl thanks for joining us!

@Teej wrote:

Hi all 👋🏻

Personally the worst stigma and discrimination I’ve experienced has been in the ED dept of public hospitals. I think it is ignorance and lack of understanding that breeds stigma. 

Like @Zoe7 said I think that the reports of the media are the basis for many people’s understanding of mi. It wasn’t until I’d had a couple of admissions to hospital that I understood more about mi and felt empathy because I understood it better. To me it feels vital that the media isn’t just reporting mi when it comes to crime. 

I do think the media has come a long way with reporting suicide though. 

There is still far too much stigma attached to suicide - @Teej 

Dec

I am sorry you felt uncomfortable when you got your medication. I find that to be a lack of professionalism and tact on their part- its no way a reflection of you. @Owlunar Heart