Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

NikNik
Senior Contributor

Career Chat // Benefits and challenges of work // CLOSED

Career Chat.jpg

Ahh work … no it’s not a nasty four letter word!

In fact, according to research we know that, for the majority of us, work is fundamental to our mental health and wellbeing. Not to mention the positive effect it has on our bank balance!

It provides us with confidence, self efficacy, a community of likeminded people and (hopefully) an environment for personal and career development and growth!

So we know it's important and we know it's useful ... but it does come with challenges especially when we're experiencing mental health issues.

When we are experiencing mental health issues work can seem like a burden and sometimes it’s just plain overwhelming … our motivation decreases, our anxiety increases and our issues can compound.

It’s good to know that there are ways around these obstacles and on Friday’s Career Chat forum we will be sharing and chatting about this very topic.

I hope you’ll join us!

Two things you can do now:

1) Hit 'Like' below to receive an email reminder during the session

2) Can't make the session? Leave your question below to be answered on Friday

36 REPLIES 36

Re: Career Chat // Benefits and challenges of work // Friday, 27 May

I have soooo many questions!
- How when getting back into the workforce do you explain the gaps in your resume. It doesn't go down well when you tell employers that you have a mental illness.
- How do you get a job after a long time off with mental illness?
- How do you arrange support in a new workplace. How do you bring up your illness and the challenges it brings?
- How do you ask for time off and reduced hours when you're ill?
Work is sooo important to me and my wellbeing, I just struggle so hard with getting and keeping a job! 😞

Hi,<br><br>I find work so important for my routine and well being, and when I am well I actually enjoy my job, but it is such a double sided sword. I work in a fast paced, challenging environment.<br><br>So many questions, not sure if I will have time Friday morning, so here we go; <br><br>How do you create the working day that benefits your health - I have Flexi hours, which is awesome, but also means I can potentially work around the clock?<br><br>How do you negotiate healthy travelling routines? Both national and international travel?<br><br>How do you cope with the influence of media - emails, conference calls, constantly being available, social / professional media networks?<br><br>How do you create the "cut" between work and life?<br><br>What are good routines to try and implement? I sit down for lunch, but that's the only one I keep. I sometimes think of taking up smoking again (no I won't) as it made me that 5min away from the desk in the "fresh" air.<br><br>How do you cope with never ending and boring meetings without making a fool of yourself?<br><br>What do you do when you all of the sudden start crying about something that happened 20 years ago and cannot explain what's going on?<br><br>How do you deal with loud or aggressive clients when you're having a bad day yourself?<br><br>How do you cope with the never ending to do lists, the full email accounts, the little favours everyone asks, the priority your boss all of the sudden makes, to ruin your plan and the "little emergencies" that can ruin the whole day or week?<br><br>And for me probably the biggest challenge: how do you implement new ways to cope with your mental illness if you maintained your job throughout the treatment and all of the sudden realise - you will never be the same again - and that is probably what everybody is expecting once I "recover"?<br><br>I am coping ok at the moment with fixed routines and medication and my regular professional support. But I do hope that one day I will be able to be more flexible again in my life.<br><br>Thanks heaps!<br>

Good Morning and thanks @NikNik for your intro.

Thanks also to @Former-Member and @Former-Member for your excellent questions I look forward to attempting to help out today on the forum.

My experience with mental health as you may know is as a counsellor and trainer of wellness programs but you may not know that I also run training in work related matters for people with mental health conditions so - you've come to the right placeSmiley Very Happy!

IN the next post I will be addressing both @Former-Member and @Former-Member's concerns ... 

Meantime ... check out the following in regards to mental health at work ...

A Bupa study, "Breaking the Silence" (available at www.bupa.co.uk/healthy-mind) has found that, while 88% of business leaders say that they are trying to create an open culture of discussion around mental health, seven employees in 10 still feel that they are unable to speak candidly about concerns in this area.

While more than three-quarters (76%) of business leaders accepted that creating a mentally healthy workforce made good business sense at a day-to-day level, some were not as understanding as they could be.

Some managers admitted to labelling employees with mental health conditions as unpredictable (27%), erratic (22%) and weak (22%).

Almost half (47%) responded that they felt they were "treading on eggshells" around employees who have experienced a mental health condition, and one in five (22%) admitted that they have avoided talking to these affected employees altogether.

One employee in five who stated that they had suffered with mental health issues said they had been put under pressure to resign, while half believed that they were less likely to get promoted as a result of their condition.

More than a quarter (27%) of the business leaders polled also believed that workers with mental health illnesses would not return to full productivity, despite more than half (53%) of employees experiencing these conditions feeling that they were top performers within their organisation.

Patrick Watt, corporate director at Bupa, said: "Despite business leaders recognising the importance of addressing mental health at work there is still a long way to go to break down the wall of silence and create genuine change.

"Businesses must take immediate action. Managers need to be trained to spot the signs and know how to support employees to get the right help," he added.

A separate study, by training provider Mental Health First Aid, has also claimed that one employee in six will experience a mental health issue during their working life.

The charity has argued that employers could do more to appoint and train mental health "first-aiders" within their organisation to help identify and better manage and support employees suffering with anxiety, depression or panic attacks.

Paton, N. (2014). Study shows concerns over ways to tackle mental health at work. Occupational Health, 66(12), 7.

In other words you are not alone! The issues are far and wide ... let's see if we can't tackle some of your issues today

Anybody have any reactions to the challenges of mental health in the workplace as suggested by the article? Or anything else?

Work can be such a critial factor in getting well.

I know not having work and not being able to perform whilst working has a big impact on my mental health. 

What recourse do we have if a workplace isn't supportive. What rights do we have?

Thanks for your questions @Former-Member

Let's tackle them one by one ...

- How when getting back into the workforce do you explain the gaps in your resume. It doesn't go down well when you tell employers that you have a mental illness.

That's such a great question and one that many of my clients ask me. Whilst there is no obligation to report mental illness to prospective employers ... there are ways you can explain 'what happened' without revealing too much and/or without lying brazenly either

Let's get down to it ... when we are off with mental illness it's a time in our lives when we undergo things such as take time off for self development, leave work over a period of time for rest and relaxation, external situations which were out of your control may have caused you to have to take time off to do with a personal situation, we might undergo treatment and therefore be required to look after ourselves during that time much like taking care of a sick relative or as a carer (of yourself - yes!)

They are suggestions for explaining gaps in your resume.

You may also try to begin working for a company who requires ''lived experience" and your experience with mental health issues may be just what they want!

- How do you get a job after a long time off with mental illness?

There are amazing organisations such as Ostara Australia (a Disability Employment Service, DES) and other Job Service Agencies (you can look them up as JSA's) in your local area and they are very excited to help you get another job despite your (previous or current) barriers!

Once you realise you have the full support of a dedicated Employment Consultant you will begin to become more at ease with your situation and heading back into the workplace won't seem as daunting.

It can and has been done by thousands of people - just check out Ostara's (ostara.org.au) website for examples! 

- How do you arrange support in a new workplace. How do you bring up your illness and the challenges it brings?

Depending on whether you are going through a DES/JSA (see above) or on your own, the resulting support will be different,

When you approach a DES/JSA your mental health is known and support is available from your Employment Consultant and anyone they can put you in touch with. 

If you are on your own heading back into the workforce, it's trickier ... depending on whether you have been open about your mental health issue(s). If you read the article above, there's still a long way to go for people with mental health conditions to receive adequate support. Mainly due to (sadly) ignorance. This is a situation mental health sectors such as those I belong to have to battle, DES and JSA services also battle the stigma.

My advice is to ensure you have outside supports and networks; a friendly counsellor you can chat to anytime, a psychologist with regular appointments, a mentor who has been there and done that (SANE provides these as peer supports). 

Plus of course, a toolbox of ways in which you facilitate coping in the workplace. Check out my previous Forums for tools to add to your mental health toolbox.

- How do you ask for time off and reduced hours when you're ill?

Tricky if your company doesn't know you're experiencing mental health issues. It comes down to WHERE you're working ... are they a company who values 'lived experience' and therefore understand your needs? Then obviously you take some time out for 'mental healthiness'!

If not, then you may use your leave for personal matters, buy back your leave (some companies do this) ensure you use a doctor's certificate if you're not well ... my friend recently developed some cellulitis that was very painful and took 2 weeks to cure .Smiley Surprised.. not that I'm suggesting you do the same! Just sharing a true story  Smiley Wink

Work is sooo important to me and my wellbeing, I just struggle so hard with getting and keeping a job! 😞

It sounds like you need to get on the phone to a DES or JSA, find one you like and see if they can help ... Ostara has a wonderul Work for wellness program that trains participants specifically in dealing with anxiety/mental health symptoms at work.

I hope this has helped @Former-Member

Heart

My DES was as useful as a punch in the face. Actually a punch in the face might have been better.

@Bec That's unfortunate, sorry you've had a difficult time with DES services.

Remember that one DES provider does not a community of DES providers make!

I work closely with the DES community and find their staff to go above and beyond for clients ... 

Hope the other stuff helped!

Best of luck

Sorry for all the short sharp comments, but I'm technically at work atm. Should I write in my cover letter/resume that I was off with a chronic illness? I'm just not getting any interviews, I presume due to my long gaps of employment,

Yes it did. Thank you!
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance