Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // IN SESSION NOW // Medication

Hi @shaz.  If your husband is struggling with coming off his medications, encourage him to chat with his doctor.  It might be the half reduction was too much too quick.  Perhaps much slower will prevent such a quick relapse.  But this is something to be discussed and monitored by his doctors. 

As for his tablet dose and schedule, i would like to be able to offer you an answer or guideance.  However only his doctor can safely advise on when is best. 

Re: Topic Tuesday // NOW IN SESSION // Medication

Yes. Agreed it depends on what the doc says about what to take and when.
I would be interested to hear stories from people who have been off meds, for how long and how they manage? I only ever last 6-18 months before getting sick again.

Re: Topic Tuesday // IN SESSION NOW // Medication

Should you choose to go off your medication, it is best to do so in a way that ensures your mental and physical wellbeing are looked after.  You can this by

• First consulting with your health care provider.  He or she can work with you to create a plan of action that will gradually take you off your medication or switch to a non-drug treatment option.
  • Reduce the medication dose gradually wherever possible.  The slower the dose-reduction, the greater the chances of preventing a relapse, and reducing unpleasant withdrawal effects.
  • Tell people close to you of your intent and needs coming up, for their support, encouragement and understanding.
  • Prepare an Advance Directive that indicates how you would like to be treated should you have a serious crisis during the withdrawal process. Ensure you give a copy to someone you can trust and also to your doctor or psychiatrist.
  • Monitoring your mood can help you spot subtle trends that might otherwise get overlooked. Also, recording any side effects can help you to remain objective and recognise any less obvious patterns that occur.  A good one to look at is from the Black Dog Institute at http://www.blackdoginstitute.org.au/docs/12.MoodChartforBipolarDisorder.pdf

These are just a few of the many things people choose to do when coming off their medication.  I imagine it could be an almost exhaustive list.  Does anyone feel comfortable sharing their ideas or experiences?

Re: COMING UP: Topic Tuesday // IN SESSION NOW // Medication

so confused about how this forum works! where do I comment?

Hi @Hazelle

You just commented 🙂 Welcome!

@Hazelle

Just to catch you up, above your post you will see @snoopy latest question.

Feel free to share your thoughts / experiences

Nik

Hi @Hazelle. Welcome.

Cat Happy

I might aswell share my current experience!

23yo female: depression, anxiety, PSTD & BPD

Over a year ago I started my antidepressant medication regime. At the time I was suffering from depressive symptoms, suicidal ideation, impulsivity and self harm. 2 months after starting my treatment these symptoms began to decrease, however the thinking patterns still existed. I started to talk about my problems with my doctor and psych which also helped.

Over the last year I have managed to take control of my mind and notice when the dark thoughts begin to submerge themselves into daily life. Becoming more aware of my thinking really helped to start making small changes. I am also halfway through my DBT course for BPD.

I have just recently contacted my doctor about decreasing my dosage. She prescirbed me a lower dosage to start weening myself off. I did listen to her advice, however I have made adjustments to her reccomendations.

Basically I have just become self aware and have a really good understanding of my personal triggers and symptoms. This has helped me dictate my gradual decrease in meds.

Thank you!! I thought it was an open chat, rather then a stream of posts 🙂

Re: Topic Tuesday // NOW IN SESSION // Medication

I recently changed medication because of side effects a month ago. I was informed today that the psychiatrist that put me on this new medication is retiring due to ill health. I feel lost and am not sure what i am meant to do now. I have made an appointment with another psychiatrist and will be able to see him in two months. The new medication is new on the market and I'm not sure if it is meant for long term use. The original doctor mentioned the need for liver function tests for a medication he was thinking of putting me on and i don't know if the medication he eventually put me on is the one that requires liver function tests. I can't ask him and my gp had never heard of the medication. I hope i can get some answers from the new psychiatrist.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance