Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Cherub
Casual Contributor

Natural alternatives

Just wondering what others do instead of, or along side of, medication to feel better?
What do you find works naturally to help you feel better?
7 REPLIES 7
Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: Natural alternatives

Hi @Cherub Just read this now.
Will write more when I'm not so tired. Just going to sleep now, but wanted to say, hi and will chat soon.
I struggle with similar (I read your other post).
Nice to meet you. 😊🌷🌻🌼🌺
Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @Cherub  

I have struggled with PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder), anxiety and depression for many years.

Over the years I have tried many anti depressants, so many, I have lost count.  They made me feel worse.  The only medicaiton I take is anti anxiety meds, but only occassionally.  They are not meds that can be taken all the time.  Although lately I have been taking them for a while, but will have to have a break off them very soon.  So I understand why you are reluctant to take medication.  I prefer not to take any, due to side affects.

I have been to naturopaths and have done alot of my own research.  We are not allowed to name natural herbs etc on the forum.  I do take a variety of vitamins etc., but to be honest, I really don't notice that they make any difference for me, but I take them anyway, because I am sure that they must be helping me in some way, even if I don't notice it.  

After having a long break from having therapy, I recently started going to see a psychologist.  I have had 7 visits with her so far.  She is helping me with mindfulness and I find it helpful doing deep breathing and being aware of how tense I am and relaxing those muscles.  I am constantly working on my negative thoughts and mindfulness is a good thing to learn.  Some days like today, I find it very difficult, other days it's easier.  

I have been to several psychologists over the years and this psychologist is the only one that I feel comfortable with.  I have had lots of counselling as well.  The reason I started going to this psychologist, is because I heard about a therapy called EMDR (eye movement desensitisation reprogramming).  Aparently it helps people overcome PTSD, anxiety, etc.  I have done alot of research on EMDR and it makes sense to me now.  I just need to learn to put my protective wall down, so that the EMDR will work properly.  

I hope this is helpful for you.  I wish there was a magic pill that would work, but so far I haven't found any.  I will keep searching for an answer.  Medication does help alot of people, I'm not one of them unfortunately.

Feel free to chat any time.  Sorry to hear that you are struggling, I hope that you can find an answer to making life easier.  Smiley HappyHeart

Former-Member
Not applicable

Even though I feel like I don't have any energy, I force myself to go for a fast walk and/or pilates stretches.  Exercising is definitely helpful in many ways.  I don't enjoy exercising, but I know it helps.

Also, I eat healthy foods and have figured out which foods don't agree with me and have stopped eating those foods.  Nuts, oats, sugar, etc are really bad for me.  We are all different and it's different for everyone. 

Lots of filtered water too.  Smiley Happy   @Cherub

Former-Member
Not applicable

I'm not into natural health, but one thing that you can do is find a form of mindfulness/meditation/relaxation that works for you. I've found progressive muscle relaxation and deep breathing to be amazing for helping me.

@Cherub. I dance around my lounge room - with the curtains closed - and just let loose to some good rock songs. Good exercise but even better for releasing extra tension we may be carrying.
Watch diet. Alcohol, caffeine, smoking, certain medications - can have a negative impact on our Mental health.
Keeping in contact - when or how ever you can - is very important - helps keep you part of the community and not so isolated.

Also being methodical about our hierarchy of needs.  Addressing them as they arise, but not overly buying into social competitveness.

I used to do like @utopia .. gotta claim all my airwaves again.  got my piano and studio back .. and now linked in on laptop ... yay

Hi Chrub, I'm putting in a massive effort to avoid going back on meds and this is my plan - see Psychologist for refresher of tools ie ACTherapy / mindfulness etc AND a serious commitment to exercise. Joining gym to go thru the day wen its quiet just to use rowing machine etc. I hate exercise an not too keen on another Psychologist but am giving this plan 6 weeks and if no improvement will reluctantly agree to some meds. So motivated to stay off them tho I'm giving my plan a red hot go. Good luck with whatever you try.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance