Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Janna
Community Elder

The Misconceptions and Ill-Advice We Get

I have just recently been subject to a barrage of advice from individuals who clearly do not understand depression.  Depression as I have come to know varies and exists on a spectrum.  There are many different types of depression, however, those that have not intimately experienced a severe clinical depression, exhibit a glib and superficial understanding of it, and often can offer words of support/advice which could potetentially make the situation worse.

My son suffers from clinical depression which over the past 12 months has wavered between severe and severe/moderate in intensity.  This presents itself as a young person who does not want to engage in life, who can barely wake up each day (let alone get up), who at times is so frustrated and angry that he becomes hostile, aggressive and very oppositional, who has thought of ending his lfe and who fundametally is very difficult to manage.

It's natural for people like myself to seek support from people that are "close".  However, I have found that their advice often displays a complete lack of understanding about the nature of clinical depression and is exactly what one shouldn't do.

The average person relates "depression" to the situational depression that they have experienced in their life. How many times have I heard, "I know what you're talking about.  I've been there when xx happened, etc".

I'm sorry,  but what my son is experiencing is very different to their experience. This is not a situational depression that remits or decreases according to the external environment.  This is a different type of depression and one which is much more severe and harder to treat.

So what I find happens is that they give advice based on their own experience and in keeping with their own ideology about how to handle and raise a teenager.  They pummel me with advice, which tends to assert that I'm weak and being taken for a ride by a manipulative teenager.  The advice they give is often the hard line approach:  take his priveleges away; make him do this and that; don't let him get one over you; he needs to learn what life is all about; send him to my place and I'll sort him out;  you need to take away xx and xx and make his life so miserable that he will want to get out; he's manipulating you;  take his computer away; get him to do some work and earn his keep; make him do this and that, and on and on it goes.  In response to his sucidal ideations and threats I've received comments that suggest that this is the ultimate manipulation; that if he was really suicidal he wouldn't tell me, he'd just do it; that he knows he'll ellicit a big reaction out of me by saying that and that it is not genuine,  etc, etc.

What then happens is that they cast doubt into my mind about the way I'm managing him and also whether he is bona fide.or whether I'm being taken for a ride.  Instead of helping, they unknowingly add another level of complexity which then makes me question whether I'm doing the right thing or not, and/or being extremely naive and just not seeing things clearly. Fortunately I have not allowed myself to be swayed by their comments.

What this illustrates to me is that although we require support, we have to be very careful about the support and advice we receive.  I've not followed the advice given because i believe that it would be contraindicated and could potentially exacerbate my son's depression.  I'm wise enough now (finally) to not take their comments to heart and let them define who and what I am, or question my actions (despite the doubts they cast). Thankfully due to years of intense emotional work I'm not as vulnerable as I used to be, however, I dread to think what impact these comments would have had if I were not so "emotionally mature" (big pinch of salt with that statment).  Any vulnerable person could easily be swayed into adopting the mindset of these so-called hepful individuals. I shudder to think what the outcome would be if this were the case.

It makes me wonder about how good and/or bad "unprofessional" and uneducated support can be when dealing with mental illness.  Advice received from people who do not have a good understanding and knowledge could potentially be very harmful to both the individual seeking support, and to the person suffering with a mental illness. 

So the summary of what I'm saying is that supportive advice must come from people who have knowlegde, insight and understanding,  Reaching out to those that are closest to us for advice must be done with caution and a healthy level of self-confidence and knowlege.

After what I've been through, both internally and externally, I would be the first person to advocate for psychology to be introduced into schools so that future gererations grow and learn to understand that humans have this diversity.  I can't wait for the day when everyone understands that people (humans) can get sick mentally as well as physically and that this is what makes up the human condition.  Loads of empathy gets ellicited for anyone suffering from a physical disease (e.g. cancer or the like), but when any mental affliction comes into the equation people steer clear and display a lack of empathy and insensivity that is not deserved.

I've had my offloading rant now and feel better.  Sorry xx

Janna ❤️

18 REPLIES 18

Re: The Misconceptions and Ill-Advice We Get

Hello @Janna

you have made some very astute observations.

How quickly you learn who can offer support that is truly that, and to steer clear of those that offer little.

Yes, the box of chocolates analogy is widely acknowledge...

Mental illness, a hidden illness.

Glad you are taking your son's situation seriously.  Clinical "depression" is of a very different order to the use of the word in casual conversation.

I have had to deal with similar accusations .. but not because I asked for advice ... just because those attitudes were prevalent among family members who wanted to avoid responsibility and did not want to examine their consciences.

There are a lot of myths about suicidal ideation in "the community" that are most unhelpful or may even be part of the cause.

I am taking my son's situation seriously and have come to realise that I may as well not reach out for support to those who are naive and uninformed.  

I've not been down in the depths of an unresolved depression like my son, but I have experienced what I call a "Dark Night of the Soul" in which I was very depressed and philosophically questioned everything in my life.  It was hard and I also experienced suicidal ideations.  To say that someone is not suicidal because they wouldn't tell you and that they would just act, is a completely ignorant statement coming from someone who simply does not understand.  Thankfully I saw this through my own understanding and experience.  Imagine if I didn't have that insight/wisdom.  Imagine if I listened to their ill-advice.  Argh ... I shudder to think what the outcome could/would have been.

I have a healthy respect for suicidal ideations/threats and fully understand the psychology behind them.  I think it's a cultural myth to believe that any person who is suicidal is not genuine if they don't attempt or complete it.  I completely disagree with this and wish that people had more empathy and understanding towards it.  But in saying that I guess it's like anything.  Unless you've been in it or experienced it, it's very hard to fathom.

That's were a forum like this comes in.  Like minded people with similar experiences helping each other out.

Janna ❤️

Yes it is best to stay away from the ignorant and misinformed. You are right in your understanding of cultural myths ...it is not necessarily manipulation and the whole person and the whole situation needs to be addressed.

I tried to deal with SI in my siblings for years and now in myself.

I have found spiritual and mystical traditions eg John of the Cross,Teresa of Avila or Buddhist sutras essential to my survival. I am philospohical rather than dogmatic in my approach.

8 years ago, my daughter gave my son a book on Practical Ethics by Peter Singer.  i thought a beautiful and sensitive gift.  His psychiatrist saw it as a sign of pathological obssession ... sometimes it is hard to win .. my son moved on and has found many other interests since .. but come full circle and is now,is into philosophers like Hitchens again.

They are not my particular heroes but I am proud of my kids and think it is a worthy interest for a young male of this generation.

I hope your son can eventually find some heroes that speak to him.

Wow @Janna - I don't even know where to start. I really admire your strength. You are amazing and you are doing an phenomenal job at seeking out knowledge and gaining understanding of your son's experiences so you can offer him the best support possible.

Unfortunately I have heard similar things to you.

I truly see these Forums for carers, such as yourself, to empower themselves with knowledge, hear about how others have managed similar situations and a place that we can all share our experiences without judgement - there's just an underlying understanding that, even though all of our experiences are different, we get each other.

I'm so glad you don't take on those opinions and judgements @Janna and I can see that you are helping others in this community by validating their experiences and concerns and passing on your wisdom. We really appreciate all the work you do for other members here.

Dear @Janna

thanks for your messages.

i'm very impressed that you sort out fact from fiction.....

Jeepers, empathy is so b..... hard from other mothers and others......

Would'nt it be lovely if you could havesomeone around you who just .....listens.....

Thank you Janna, reading your story felt like a mirror of my own experience, knowing that you have been able to gro w throught the experience invigorates me not to give up, not give up on my daughter, but to give up on trying to helpothers understand. The further I go along my own journey of care for my daughter the more stable I am becoming with my own responses to not only her but the helpful others. I have better days and then not so good days, fatigue is a major contributor to the stability of my resilience and as the sole carer for my daughter it often seems there is noone I can rant at that has any idea of the ongoing battle.

Again, Thankyou

Dear @Untethered @Janna,
Very very interesting posts ......

' the Theme of feminism in 2015.
You can't see it
You feel it.
Compassion
Empathy
Love
Experience

So true Janna. I'm only just learning to be strong about that sort of 'advise' I actually find myself getting angry at one of my best friends. So I avoid talking about what's happening, makes me feel a bit fake though! I also get well meaning but inappropriate advise from my sister. It can be lonely. Thanks for your comments
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance