Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Janna
Community Elder

Just A Little Update:)

My son's depression/anxiety continues to be about as debilitating as it can be.  He has not been attending school and spends each and every day in bed.  He is a little better than around 6 weeks ago when he was threatening to end it all and seems a little more engaged and lighter in his mood.  He's also had a change in medications and has tolerated it well.  He is now completely off the old antidepressant and only on a minimal dose of the new one which will be reviewed in three weeks and adjusted accordingly.

Meanwhile I've been busy trying to activate our next plan of action.  His current school is in the process of initiating an access request form to get him into a special purpose school specifically for students with emotional disorders and mental health issues.  Unfortunately it is very difficult to get into this school as there are only 45 places.  

Additionally our private psychologist and psychiatrist have initiated another avenue via referral which offers a residential care/school program.  We have been given an appointment for 2/11 for an initial intake assessment which will be conducted by a team of clinicians and takes 3 hours.  Today I received a bundle of forms to complete for this.  A detailed 10 page assessment questionnaire which covers absolutely everything from birth to now, a child behaviour checklist which contains over 120 questions, a youth self-report and CES-DC Scale for my son to complete, registration form, and a bundle of NSW Govt. Information sheets pertaining to mental health. Last but not least was an information sheet for families which is dedicated to carers and outlines our rights, responsibilities support options, etc.

This is the very first time in over 3 years of struggling with my son that I have ever received any information that clearly outlines a carers role and provides key phone numbers and websites (including SANE).  

Just going over the child behaviour checklist has highlighted how bad he really is - sport = nil, friends = nil, exercise = nil, school = nil, etc.   I'm happy that we have some direction again and am hoping that he finally gets the support he needs.

As a noteworthy comparison - when he was admitted into a private young person's mental health unit I received no such information.  This current facility is a Govt. facility.  And I always believed private was better than public!!

Janna ❤️

PS My 21 year old daughter had her first psychotherapy session this week for her emotional difficulties, including anxeity, so its officially all in the family now.  25+ years of living with an abusive and personality disordered individual has us all in therapy and the one who needs it most is coasting around in life like nothing is wrong!! Argh.

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Just A Little Update:)

Hi Janna! 🙂 
Zahlia here,

Wow, for the past couple of minutes I was so absorbed in this post you wrote about your son. After I read this I went and found your first post about your history. It truly moved me, and I felt such a sadness for your family- but at the same time, such great happiness that you and your family are no longer around the abuse and that things are looking up for you!
It sounds awful what your son is going through still to this day, and the impact it must be having on you as his mother.
It's such great news that you, his school and psychologist are all working to get him into a place that he will be much better off in (Fingers crossed!).

It must be such a relief for you to now have some contacts within mental health - [Really glad you are apart of the SANE community]. How are you coping with everything now? Do you still have support for yourself? (Other than us at SANE of course Smiley Tongue)

I know @Appleblossom would be interested to see how you and your son are going now.

Keep us updated with how you go getting your son into a school.

Take care,

Zahlia

Re: Just A Little Update:)

@Janna Yes Please keep posting.

The forum is interesting as we can communicate directly to another person but also communicate when we are just telling our story or giving support. Sometimes reading old stories encourage people or give flashes of insight or the sense that others go through similar things.

regards Apple

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance