Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Jen68
New Contributor

getting out of a dark hole.

Getting out of depression and anxiety a bit is very hard. I have a lot of support around me and know that my family support me.

Churches need a lot of teaching on this ant to know how to help us.

2 REPLIES 2

Re: getting out of a dark hole.

Hi @Jen68, welcome to the Forums.  You're right, it's tough to get a handle on depression and anxiety.  Particularly together as they seem to reinforce eachother.  For example, anxiety tends to limit what you do which can then reinforce depression.  Catch 22.

It's great to hear that you have good support around you.  That makes a real difference.  Hopefully they understand what's happening for you.  Do you also have some professional help?  A counsellor?  Sometimes we need someone to talk to who is outside of our circle.  Where we can just vent and walk away knowing that it won't follow us home. 

Wishing you all the very best in your recovery.  You can do it 🙂

Re: getting out of a dark hole.

Hi @Jen68 and welcome to the forums! @suzanne has mentioned the Catch 22 between anxiety and depression, it is a complex and sometimes exhausting path to recovery. 

You mention churches needing a lot of teaching on how to help... are you an active member of a church? I'll admit I had to change churches a few times until I found one that fit. Now the pastor understands me and my needs. Can you talk to a pastor/priest/reverend etc about how you are feeling at all?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance