Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Former-Member
Not applicable

Unsure?

I'm feeling so happy I got my kids off to first day of school! Hooray. And I wasn't stressed by dealing with a heap of mums I'd rather avoid!

13 REPLIES 13
CannonSalt
Senior Contributor

Re: Unsure?

As far as I know, it's 'make good use of every scrap of time', and delegate where possible.  What kinds of jobs do your kids do at home?  Maybe they could help prepare veggies for dinner?

Former-Member
Not applicable

Good point..I can only try that. I haven't been too successful thus far, but this year I made pact with myself to not clean their bedroom, as much as I feel compelled sometimes! I think either side it's a tough one. I am curious how others self manage when times are challenging..maybe I need to just accept help of medication. I like when I'm energized. I'm scared this will slow down. Become dull, lifeless, no meaning. The anti depressants I took in past, didn't work after a while. Is it true people just blurr out life and hit reality once off them. It's always people that are not doctors who downgrade medication. I maybe need to research this topic further. I like hard facts.

This depends on how old they are too - they might need some help being organised. What do they find the hardest about cleaning their rooms? Explaining to them why you're studying, that you need to do your homework too, etc. might help. School age kids usually get a kick out of their parents needing to do homework. I trust that you're thinking of a part-time load. Seeking help at your educational institution is also important - from teachers, departments and other classmates.
Former-Member
Not applicable

Yes, thank u. My eldest might like that idea! He has trouble being organized. I'm presently getting some assistance for him. Have a few extra challenges! I guess university does cater for such things. I want to better my chances once my youngest (9 months) at school. And the study has been an interest for a long time. Just put my children first in between managing life's hurdles. I've had my share ☺@CannonSalt
CannonSalt
Senior Contributor

Keep in mind that uni is difficult. If it was easy, everyone would be doing it.
Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @Former-Member I've got two lil ones (4 and 7) who just went back to school too!! I also went back to work this week after a year off yikes... And also studying one subject externally at uni. I have depression and PTSD which I feel like comes in kind of like a slow tide at the moment... But I have a strict routine for my studying now and do it in 3 two hour blocks per week. And try to stay really organised with a calandar on the front of my note book with all dates (assignments due etc) and study times put on it for the semester and I cross things off as I go. I think if you are really interested in what you are doing it helps and for me it seems to kind office me a break from the crap stuff in my life lol.
Good luck,
Lj
Former-Member
Not applicable

That's true @CannonSalt

Former-Member
Not applicable

Lol, gosh I found myself writing post it note dinner schedule for the week, which I never stick to. But in order to make it, I needed such scheduling this week. But by weeks end I was exhausted. Kids take a lot out of me. Your post inspired me. I thoroughly agree. I'm being a perfectionist in trying to get it right! Thank you @Former-Member

Great suggestions @Former-Member. When I taught in a Uni, that's exactly what I used to suggest to my students. Creating a schedule, and sticking to it, isa great way to avoid burnout. And making a realistic schedule means it's easier to stick to it.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance