Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

blue229
Casual Contributor

New member here

Hi all,

I am new to this forum, I just heard about it this morning on the radio. A little about me: I'm mid 30s, work part time (well it's actually almost full time), married to a loving wife and I'm from NSW. I have suffered from MH issues since my late teens and was diagnosed Bipolar 2 about 10 years ago. I have struggled with SH over the years but am getting better at keeping that under control, although I do have a lot of shame over the scars it has left me with. I was just hoping to talk to people who have been through similar things without the fear of judgement. 

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6

Re: New member here

Welcome @blue229

so glad you've joined us Smiley Happy

It's a good question, how do you manage the stigma you feel? Are you covering your body so they are not seen, or do you have a one liner to address the looks?

I have heard of some scars being covered (readdressed) with tattoo's, and made into a thing of beauty.

Welcome BP type 1 here so know how you feel. I was diagnosed 5 years ago now (wow!) and am really just beginning to get to grips with it all. 

I work full time in a job that I love - it's challenging and I'm around people a lot but I still get to write. Best of both worlds. 

I hope things are going well for you and that you are stable.  

The stigma thing is really tough - I still struggle with self worth.

Thank you so much for the replies. To answer your question Karma, I do cover them up as best as possible. Most are on my upper arms and can't be seen, even under a loose fitting t shirt or short sleeve shirt. The others are barely visible and nobody has they commented on them. I also live in a cooler climate (today's maximum is just 3 degrees)

So with the colder climate, long sleeves don't look too out of place.

Hi @blue229 

It's great to 'meet' you 🙂

It's sounds like you have come along way! How do you fight your SH urges, if you don't mind me asking...

Welcome again,

Nik

Hi NikNik,

The urges don't seem to go away even after all these years so I have found that distraction is the best way for me to keep myself from SH'ing. I have found that listening to music or exercising helps. 😃

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance