Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Ninja71
New Contributor

How Do I Accept Depression

I struggle daily with Depression, Anxiety and PTSD. I'm really struggling to accept all of this. I'm extremely low I will admit that but I truely feel worthless and inadequate because of this. 

5 REPLIES 5

Re: How Do I Accept Depression

It is really hard to accept😟Are there things you like to do? Are there things that you can feel grateful for?
I find acceptance is hard, but some things that help me are getting outside, going out for coffee and going for a walk where I live
( there are swans and ducks) I break my days down into sections, even hours, to not get so overwhelmed. I think acceptance is a process and sometimes I'm in it a little and sometimes I'm looking at it across the lake. Take heart and reach out like you are

I totally understand where you are at.  Accepting something like depression is a big feat - you don't like it, don't want it but it's there.  I came across a video on You Tube - The Way of Radical Acceptance by Matt Khan.  I found it brilliant, it gives you another way to look at it if you find Acceptance too strong.  Good luck, hope it helps.  ☺

Hi @Ninja71 (great username by the way!)

I haven't "seen" you around the Forums before - so a big welcome to you.

"Self stigma" is a huuggee issue and what I've realised is that it's a vicious cycle:

Mental health difficulties impacts our self esteem and our self esteem impacts our ability to take care of our mental health - so the cycle continues.

There is a huge lesson I have learnt from being around these forums - it's so common to feel ashamed and worthless because of the state of our mental health. However, we need to cut ourselves come slack and be a bit kinder to ourselves. This takes off some of the pressure we're putting on ourselves and gives us some space to seek and accept help.

"Being kind to ourselves" can be easier said than done - does anyone have any tips for Ninja?

Thanks @B45 and @HellonWheels for your tips so far 🙂

Hi @Ninja71 I have general anxiety disorder and have some very awful symptoms including cronic dizziness, I found it so hard to accept as I was happy outgoing and everything was going good, then next minute the rug was swept up from my feet. I was so angry and very much why me and why now. I now have started accepting it, as I started to realise this happens for a reason and it woke me up to things I was doing that was destroying me. I got help from a phycologist who is amazing and let out a lot of pain I was bottling up, I have learnt more about meditation and self love, I learnt about food and I sought out a naturopath who has put me on some natural mood lifting tablets called remotive. Before my anxiety I was doing things in my life that I was so unhappy with and now I am saying no more, I'm going out and getting that massage or buying that little thing I love. You will learn to accept it in time, for now you need some self love. Take some time out for u. I'm sorry that you are going through this m, but believe me you are stronger then you think and very brave.

@Ninja71. I have been diagnosed with depression and anxiety and ptsd.
It's painful. No one deserves to feel like this.
The way I look at it is as if I had type 1 diabetes. I didn't cause it. I don't deserve to have it. I don't want it. But the reality is - that I do have depression and anxiety. But I've been getting the best help I can. And it has made a world of difference to my life. I can find joy every day. I'm less likely to have the negative self talk going on in my head. And when I do, I am able to shut it right down.
Do you see anyone for help? - a gp, psychologist or psychiatrist?
It's just too hard to do it on your own.
I have learnt breathing and relaxation techniques that have helped me. I do them every day.
Talk to a professional and see what help works best for you.
Try and take your day one moment at a time. Try and focus on one thing at a time. And remember to congratulate yourself when you achieve something - even if it's just having a shower or going for a short walk. This will help to retrain your brain into thinking more positively.
Mental illness is just an illness or injury to our bodies. It just happens to be our brain that is hurt - not a bone
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance