Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Rhumba
Casual Contributor

Feeling Stuck!!

Just lately I have been feeling really stuck because I feel like my medications aren't working properly or it's the stress of not having any support from my three sisters. I do have support workers but lately when I have really needed to talk they r either busy or they don't even bother ringing back!

I don't fully understand why at one point I'm a real emotional mess then at another point I am really pissed off and I feel like telling everyone to piss off especially my psych!
12 REPLIES 12

Re: Feeling Stuck!!

Hi @Rhumba,

From what you've written in your post, I get the sense that you're feeling unsupported and unheard during a time when you need support the most. I can see why you're not feeling like in your words an emotional mess. How long have you been on your meds? These can take some time to kick in?

What else is happening to contribute to your stress? 

@Rhumba. It's awful when our support networks aren't available when we need them.
Maybe talking to us here may help during those times. You can also phone LifeLine or Beyond Blue when ever you need to.
Do you have a psychologist that you see? I find mine has been really helpful in teaching me coping techniques regarding stress and anxiety.

This is something I am going to ask everyone straight away, do you have private health insurance? Is it top hospital cover?

Now for the reason I ask this

There are a number of private mental health hospitals that offer groups, these groups offer a chance to share and talk as well as give helpful tools to deal with your condition.

Every group is different as there are a number of different as mental health illnesses, so they are tailored to 1 or 2 types of illness.

hope this helps

What the technical have you learnt I really struggle alot

As I said, every group is different and provides different tools and strategies. It's something well worth looking into.

I have bipolar as well as a lovely cocktail of other things.

It also depends on what you are trying to deal with, it could be low self asteam, no self compassion, etc

We have to remember that just because some of us may have the same illness it doesn't mean the same problems led us to it. We are all different, so we all need different tools and coping skills

hope this helped

I agree @Gavinlee. Even if we have the same diagnosis and even similar backgrounds - one medication or therapy may work for me but might not work for you.
It is a bit of trial and error. I think that's where a good therapist who has experience using different techniques is helpful @harryman

Hi there. Yes I do have a psychologist. At the moment I see her fortnightly.

The hard part about me ringing Lifeline is that it makes my mum panic. So I don't bother.

The medication I'm on now I have been on them for it varies 3 months to 2 years.

Hi @Rhumba, it's great that you're trying to work this through although I can hear your frustration at being in this position.  It sounds like you're connected to the right support so maybe it's about getting this to work better for you. 

I wonder if it would help to keep a mood diary?  Try to track your mood, when it shifts and what may have been the cause.  It can provide a lot of insight into what's driving the changes.  This then allows you to more proactively protect your good moods.  It can also provide some really great information to your psychologist and support workers.

Have you given that a try in the past? 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance